[Michlib-l] Fwd: Re: [ARSL_MEMBERSHIP] inquiring e-mail

Helen Dewey rhdewey at charter.net
Tue May 23 15:18:47 EDT 2017

FYI to Michlib-l

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [ARSL_MEMBERSHIP] inquiring e-mail
Date: 	Tue, 23 May 2017 17:38:50 +0000
From: 	Anna Yount <anna.yount at transylvaniacounty.org>
To: 	arsl_membership at cvl-lists.org <arsl_membership at cvl-lists.org>

Here’s the word on these emails from the State Librarian of North Carolina:

Public library directors in multiple states are getting emails from
coreypeters1001 at gmail.com <mailto:coreypeters1001 at gmail.com>
(mailto:coreypeters1001 at gmail.com) The messages started arriving last
week and are each addressed to "Dear Library Director" and worded in one
of several different ways:

  * I am a patron of the library. I believe that libraries are vital to
    our community and would like to be more involved in how our library
    is run. Is there an upcoming public meeting that I could attend to
    elaborate my views?
  * I am a taxpayer and a voter. I believe that libraries are vital to
    our community but that spending for our library is just too high. Is
    there an upcoming public meeting that I could attend to elaborate my
    views?
  * I am a donor to the library. I believe that libraries are vital to
    our community but that spending for our library is just too high. Is
    there an upcoming public meeting that I could attend to elaborate my
    views?

In some emails, funding is too high - some too low. In some, he is a
patron - a donor - or a taxpayer and voter

IT staff in those states have responded (and I quote) "DO NOT RESPOND.
Please delete the message from your computer as it is a phishing scam
and could possibly be malicious".

Just a heads up in case you start receiving these messages!

Cal

*Cal Shepard*

State Librarian

State Library of North Carolina

North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources

919 807 7410    office

919 561 7966    mobile

cal.shepard at ncdcr.gov <mailto:cal.shepard at ncdcr.gov>

109 East Jones Street

4640 Mail Service Center

Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4600

cid:image004.png at 01D0C310.30B97D20

/Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the/

/North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties./

/_____________________________________________________________/

Anna L. Yount, MSLS

Library Director

Transylvania County Library

212 South Gaston Street

Brevard, NC  28712

828.884.1818 * Please note that this is a new number.*

*anna.yount at tconc.org <mailto:anna.yount at tconc.org>*

*anna.yount at transylvaniacounty.org
<mailto:anna.yount at transylvaniacounty.org>*

library.transylvaniacounty.org <http://www.library.transylvaniacounty.org/>

LIBRARYLOGO1Email

/E-Mail Correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records law and may be disclosed to third
parties.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please
contact the sender immediately./