[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Conference Session Proposals, Upcoming History Hounds, Write for Michigan History, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Nov 3 08:00:12 EDT 2017

Conference Session Proposals Deadline Approaching-Submit Today!

2018 U.P. History Conference Session Proposal Deadline: November 7

2018 U.P. History Conference: June 22-24, 2018, in St. Ignace

Are you interested in presenting a historical topic at one of our
conferences? Do you love the U.P.? Don't miss out on the chance to present
at our U.P. History Conference this coming June! This weekend is the last
chance for presenter submissions for the 2018 U.P. conference, so please
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/session-form/> fill out our presenter
form if you are interested in presenting.

Each year, the Upper Peninsula History Conference Committee begins preparing
for the conference during the fall prior to the event. The committee reviews
a wide variety of session ideas and chooses about 12 to 14 sessions to
include in the conference.

Please note that this is not an academic conference! Our conference-goers
are generally a mix of professionals and enthusiasts, so we do not accept
presentations that are based solely on the reading of a paper or research
project. Rather, each session should be aimed at an educated lay audience
and include visuals when possible.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/session-form/> If you have a proposal
and are interested in presenting at the 2018 U.P. History Conference, submit
today!

Looking to present at future conferences? We are also accepting submissions
for our Michigan History Conference in September 2018.
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/session-form/> Submit today!

Coming up next with History HoundsT.

Mid-Michigan Modern: From Frank Lloyd Wright to Googie

Wednesday, November 8 - 7 p.m.

http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/hardhat.jpgIn the
Greater Lansing area, mid-century modernism is seen in examples by
well-known architects, including Frank Lloyd Wright and George Nelson as
well as regional firms. This lecture will explore a range of modern designs
in government, association, and private buildings.

History Hounds is FREE for individual members of HSM. Non-members are
welcome to enjoy a lecture for $7.

Lectures start at 7 p.m. (unless noted) at the Meijer Education Center at
the Historical Society of Michigan, 5815 Executive Dr., Lansing, Michigan.
The lecture and Q&As usually last about an hour. Seating is limited and
pre-registration is suggested but not required. Walk-ins are welcome. For
in-person attendees, light refreshments will be available.

Participants can "attend" remotely, if they prefer, through Zoom Video
Communications and will be able to interact with the speaker and other
attendees.  <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/>
For more information on our remote access services, see our website.

Interested in Writing for Michigan History?

HSM Magazines is currently looking for writers interested in writing for
Michigan History magazine's two page spread, "Remember the Time." "Remember
the Time" is a reflective, essay-like article reminiscing on personal
memories of the author, ranging from any topic and subject matter within our
writers' guidelines. Each submission should be between 700-1,000 words.
These articles are written from the first-person point of view and focus on
a single event in the author's life, such as an experience or outing from
childhood, college, or work. The memory or event must be Michigan-based and
should take place before 1982.

Please first send a query letter about your article idea. We do not repeat
topics and/or subject matter, and this will prevent your writing an article
that has already been covered in one of HSM's magazines.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> For more
information regarding general writers' guidelines and "Remember the Time,"
check out our website.

All queries and submissions can be emailed to
<mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Interested in perusing our publications?

If you are interested in exploring Michigan History magazine or the Historic
Michigan Travel Guide in person, stop by your local Meijer grocery store and
look for our publications! Meijer carries both our magazine and the travel
guide for any history-minded enthusiast to pick up while shopping.

Interested in reading some of our story content online?
<http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> We always have a
sneak peek of our magazine content on our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/>

Coming Up Next With the Michigan History Alliance.

michiganHistoryAlliance_web

Western Upper Peninsula - November 7

University Archives, MTU, Houghton

Central Upper Peninsula - November 8

Beaumier U.P. Heritage Center, Marquette

Eastern Upper Peninsula - November 9

Sault Ste. Marie

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michigan-history-alliance/> Learn more on
our website!

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Calling all HSM Member Organizations!

We're still looking for one-of-a-kind artifacts and items!

Do you have an unusual, one-of-a-kind artifact or item in your collections?
We're looking for eligible items to include in our publications. If you
think you have a unique item of interest, let us know! Eligible items and
artifacts that belong to an HSM member organization will be featured in our
publications, along with your organization's site information.

Please e-mail  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org for more
details.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Library of Michigan presents "Author Talk: Sailing into History,"
Saturday, November 11, in Lansing.

The Holland Area Historical Society presents "Almost Home: The Phoenix
Disaster of 1847," Tuesday, November 21, in Holland.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.