[Michlib-l] Youth/Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Nov 20 15:27:30 EST 2017

Hope you all  have a great "Turkey Wobble<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLM0OGTUiYY>" week!
(That song has been stuck in my head for days...)

Upcoming YALSA Webinars

  *   December 14, 2017 - Community Partnerships for Teen Success<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/community-partnerships-teen-success>
  *   January 18, 2018 - Implicit Bias
  *   February 15, 2018 - Seattle Youth CAN: A Collaborative Model for Supporting Teen Leadership
All YALSA webinars are at 2:00 PM EST and you do need to be a member to register.  If you didn't catch it, my update from the YALSA Symposium earlier this month was in the most recent issue of the LM Dispatch e-newsletter<https://lnks.gd/2/5w_8-x>.

Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP): Updates are posted on our website<http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-18668_34169-236191--,00.html> and I shared out the CSLP Nov Newsletter & Teen Video Challenge to the list last week.  Contact me with any questions.

Babies & Books Video: Michigan author/librarian Shutta Crum shared with me her "How to Choose a Good Book" video and libraries are welcome to use it on display monitors, etc.  She has signed permission from all parents/guardians of the babies featured - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFfYkDaEiQ&t=4s

Every Child Ready to Read: New research finds ECRR curriculum leads to successful family engagement through libraries<http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/11/new-research-finds-every-child-ready-read-curriculum-leads-successful-family> and promotes school readiness<http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2017/11/new-research-librarians-promote-school-readiness-through-every-child-ready>.  Read the full report here: http://everychildreadytoread.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-ECRR-Report-Final.pdf

Our final ECRR webinar of 2017, with Sue McCleaf Nespeca is scheduled for 2:00 PM EST on Tuesday, November 28th.  Register here: https://www.solutionwhere.com/WW/Aspx/Public/Search/ShowSession.aspx?sessionId=0gwrds553ignyr45vzky4r4512%2f12%2f20162%3a14%3a42+PM380&cId=67&pCId=0  This training series was brought to us with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Best Storytime Practices a webinar series with Jenifer Strauss continues:

  *   Full Body Storytime<https://www.solutionwhere.com/WW/Aspx/Public/Search/ShowCourse.aspx?courseNum=102&cId=67&pCId=0>: Moving and Grooving with Stories, Songs, Rhythms and Rhymes
Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 2pm EST
Movement is a child's first language! Combine movement with rhythm and you have the foundation for literacy skills like listening, speaking, reading and writing.
In support of healthy early childhood learning experiences and the ALA Every Child Ready to Read initiative, narrative consultant/storyteller, Jenifer Strauss will host a live webinar featuring stories, songs, play, and movement. Participants will learn how to plan and execute a well-balanced storytime that will allow young patrons to be active and creative with language. Directions for making percussion instruments and props included. PDF handouts of song lyrics and supporting research provided.
Books:
I Knew an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (your favorite version)
The Talkative Tortoise (India, Haiti, Anishinabek origins)
The Enormous Turnip, a folktale illustrated by Kathy Parkinson (or your favorite retelling)
  *   Ready to Read Michigan:  "I Got the Rhythm!"<https://www.solutionwhere.com/WW/Aspx/Public/Search/ShowCourse.aspx?courseNum=103&cId=67&pCId=0>
Tuesday, January 16th, 2pm EST
Join us to learn about a Ready to Read Storytime designed for outreach to your local early childhood providers & schools!  This year's book selection is "I Got the Rhythm" by Connie Schofield-Morrison and illustrated by Frank Morrison.  Copies of the title will be shipped to libraries mid-January-early February, so this is a sneak peek if you do not already have the book in-hand.

School Library Journal - Best Books of 2017!  The list is out - Find their recommendations here: http://www.slj.com/bestof2017/

Additional Continuing Ed opportunities:

  *   Getting Started with Sensory Storytimes<https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=727> an online course from InfoPeople.
  *   Supercharged Storytimes<http://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/supercharged-storytimes.html> for all program from WebJunction.