[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Conference Deadline, Upcoming History Hounds, MHM Stories, Upcoming Workshop, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Sep 8 10:32:09 EDT 2017

Don't Miss Out-Only 3 Days Left!

Standard Registration Deadline: September 10

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/>
SHC-current-coverIf you're interested in attending HSM's State History
Conference in Holland from September 22-24, don't miss out on our
standard-rate registration!

The State History Conference moves to a different location each year. This
conference celebrates all aspects of Michigan's history and offers a
close-up look at the heritage of the host area. The State History Awards are
also presented during the conference. Each year, the Historical Society of
Michigan presents a State History Award to those individuals and
organizations that have made outstanding contributions to the appreciation
and understanding of Michigan history.

<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/online-re
gistration/> To register, visit our website's online registration page!

Tour Holland's "Big Red" Lighthouse at the State History Conference

Love lighthouses?

At HSM's upcoming State History Conference, one of our fun-filled guided
tours takes a rare look at Holland's famous "Big Red" lighthouse. On the
coast of Lake Michigan, "Big Red" or Holland Harbor Light as it is formally
known, is a statuesque lighthouse with a rich wealth of history. The guided
tour will include a peek inside the lighthouse itself-which is a treat for
history fans since this lighthouse is closed to the public-as well as a
general history of the lighthouse and the nearby Macatawa Park and Ottawa
Beach.

The tour is a part of HSM's State History Conference from September 22-24.
Register now for the State History Conference in order to join us to visit
"Big Red!"

Interested in attending this one-of-a-kind guided tour?
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> Check
out the conference information on our website, or click the flyer below for
a detailed itinerary.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/>
SHC-current-cover

We hope to see you there!

Don't miss our next History Skills Workshop.

Archives 101

September 15 - 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> workshop-emblemDesigned for
small organizations that struggle with how to preserve and organize archival
materials in their collections, this workshop will discuss proper storage
and handling of collections, basic arrangement techniques, and affordable
solutions for supplies and enclosures. The session will also address how to
organize collections materials in a manner that makes them accessible to
researchers, students, and members of the general public.

These training opportunities help historical organizations and interested
history advocates gain skills that can be applied in museums, organizations,
and personal collections. Registration is required for participation.

Remote attendance is also supported via our zoom communications system.
Membership organizations and individuals interested in attending but do not
have the means to attend in person can register for remote attendance.
<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> For information on the remote
attendance process, see our website or give us a call at (517) 324-1828.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> To learn more, check out our
website!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/>

Coming Up Next With History HoundsT.

A First Taste of Prohibition: Banning Booze in Midland September 13, 7 p.m.

Although Prohibition did not begin throughout the United States until 1920,
the Michigan city of Midland had already outlawed liquor 12 years earlier.
Filled with many historical images, this lecture tells the story of Midland
banning alcohol in 1908 and its continued exclusion of liquor-by-the-glass
until 1967 - 34 years after national Prohibition ended.

http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/prohibition-dog.jpg

Lectures are available for HSM members, and an HSM member organization has
the option to live-stream the lecture for its members. It is FREE to attend!
Remote attendance is also supported via our zoom communications system.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Learn more
on our website!

Need something to read?

If you're looking for reading material, check out Michigan History
magazine's free stories on our website!

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/current-Made-in-Michig
an.pdf> Made in Michigan: Seamless Stockings by Robert Myers

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-highlighted-ma
gazine-story.pdf> Life Behind Bars: The Women of the Detroit House of
Correction by Tobin T. Buhk

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> Current Magazine
Cover

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/> Learn more about
Michigan History on our website!

Check us out on Facebook!

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> Image result for facebook icon

 <https://www.facebook.com/hsmichigan/> HSM page

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Grand Rapids Public Library presents "The Search for the Westmoreland:
Michigan's Treasure Shipwreck," Thursday, September 14, in Grand Rapids.

The Northville Historical Society presents "Northville Heritage Festival,"
Friday through Sunday, September 15-17, in Northville.

The Pittsfield Township Historical Society presents the "Annual Pittsfield
Township Harvest Festival," Sunday, September 17, in Ann Arbor.

The Lenawee County Historical Society presents "Paranormal Investigation
Tours," Saturday, September 23, in Adrian.

The Homer Historical Society presents "Blair Historical Farm Fall Festival,"
Saturday, September 23, in Homer.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event on HSM's online calendar and eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.