[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Write for Michigan History, Michigan History Alliance, Maritime Tour, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Apr 13 23:30:38 EDT 2018

Shipwrecks, Lighthouses, Museums, Oh My! Michigan Maritime Tour

Our Michiganders on the Road 4-day, 3-night "Michigan Maritime Tour"
explores some of the Great Lake State's premier maritime history sites,
including Beaver Island, the Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center, Legends
of Thunder Bay Shipwrecks, Fishtown, and lighthouses galore. You'll visit
sites rarely seen even by those well-versed in Michigan's rich history.
Register today!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/maritime-tour/>
Learn more and register on our website

The Michigan Centenary Stamp

Many postage stamps have featured Michigan and its unique landmarks. The
first, the Michigan Centenary Stamp, debuted on November 1, 1935. The Post
Office Department, now the United States Postal Service, issued nearly 76
million of the Michigan Centenary Stamps to mark the 100th anniversary of
Michigan's Constitutional Convention.

Thank you to all of our volunteer judges! Michigan History Day State Finals
is April 28.

We asked, and you answered! Thank you to everyone who volunteered to be a
judge for our Michigan History DayR State Finals event in Bay City.

Michigan History Day, an educational program of the Historical Society of
Michigan, is a yearlong educational program that encourages students to
explore local, state, national, and world history. Winners of the state
level Michigan History Day competition in the Junior and Senior categories
move on to compete in National History Day in College Park, MD.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/mhd/> Visit our website for more information

Have you heard of the Michigan History AllianceT?

The Michigan History AllianceT is a regionalized program that helps our
member organizations preserve and promote history by fostering
collaboration, sharing information and best practices, and providing
training for their staff and volunteers. Each regional alliance meets at
least twice a year to bring together representatives from HSM member
historical organizations in several counties. The gatherings feature a
speaker to address a topic of interest and allow for conversations among
each region's historical organizations. Attendance at the Michigan History
Alliance networking sessions is free of charge for current member
organizations of HSM. Membership is required for participation.

Alliance meetings also offer separate three-hour History Skills Workshops
led by authorities in the field. Workshops offer in-depth training on such
topics as exhibit design, collections management, fundraising, and website
creation. There is a fee to attend the History Skills Workshops.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michigan-history-alliance/> Learn more
about the Michigan History Alliance

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>

Did you know you could write for Michigan History magazine?

Michigan History magazine is always on the lookout for writers-could one of
its next writers be you? Check out some of our 1-page and 2-page sections
below and consider writing for us today.

Passionate about a Michigan-made product or company? Write for "Made in
Michigan!"

Are you detail-oriented and know one topic, community, or item inside and
out? Write for "Focus on Michigan!"

Do you have a Michigan memory that you'd like to share with our readers?
Write for "Remember the Time!"

Are you a member historical organization with an artifact of interest?
Submit your item for "Facts and Finds!"

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> To learn more
about Michigan History's special sections, visit our writers guidelines.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections presents
"Arranging and Describing Photographs workshop," Monday, April 30, in East
Lansing.

The Maritime Heritage Alliance presents "Maritime Heritage Alliance Annual
Boat Auction and Garage Sale," Saturday, June 2, in Traverse City.

The Historical Society of Casevile presents "Ladies Luncheon," Wednesday,
June 13, in Caseville.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.