[Michlib-l] Funeral Leave

Valerie Meyerson vmeyerson at petoskeylibrary.org
Wed Aug 8 11:51:53 EDT 2018

Hi there -
We are updating our Personnel Policies and are reviewing our Funeral Leave practices. This is currently what our policy states:

All employees shall be granted a 3-day funeral leave with pay for in state funerals and 5 day funeral leave with pay for out of state funerals, upon the death of an immediate family member (mother/father, mother & father-in-law, spouse, child, sibling, brother & sister-in-law, aunt or uncle). Additional time may be granted as personal leave without pay, or unused vacation time or personal leave may be granted.

My Board is wondering how we would handle step relatives. Seems understandable to want to include step-parents and siblings. Does anyone else out there offer funeral leave for steps? If so, would you please share your wording and or other practices?

Thank you -

Valerie Meyerson, Library Director
Petoskey District Library

Please think about the environment prior to printing this email.