[Michlib-l] ALA News for August 7, 2018

Jennifer Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Thu Aug 9 10:41:10 EDT 2018

Hi, all -

It's I Love My Librarian Award time again! According to Lindsey Simon, Public Awareness Campaign Coordinator for ALA's Communication and Marketing Office, a majority of our nominators hear about this award through regional publications, word-of-mouth, and their local libraries. Share the news far and wide - your website, social media channels, newsletters, or anywhere else you may be able to reach people. Academic, public, and school librarians are eligible - 10 winners will be selected to receive $5,000 as well as a travel stipend to attend an award ceremony in New York City on December 4, 2018. The link for sharing and more information - along with the ALA News for the week - is below.

Happy August, all -

Jennifer L. Dean
University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan Library Association Board of Directors
ALA Chapter Councilor for MI
deanjl at udmercy.edu

ALA News for August 7, 2018

NEWS FROM THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION

Looking for nation’s favorite librarians for I Love My Librarian Award
The American Library Association (ALA) is seeking nominations for the coveted 2018 I Love My Librarian Award, which recognizes librarians for transforming lives and communities through education and lifelong learning. The national award invites library users to nominate their favorite librarians working in public, school, college, community college or university libraries. Nominations are being accepted now through Oct. 1, 2018 at www.ilovelibraries.org/lovemylibrarian<http://www.ilovelibraries.org/lovemylibrarian>.

Last year’s award winners were honored for making a difference in their communities, schools and campuses through the work they do every day. They included an academic librarian who preserves the stories and histories of the LGBTQ community, a public librarian who helps economically disadvantaged families connect with social services and a school librarian who inspires a love of reading in students who are new to the United States or speak English as a second language.

The ALA will select up to 10 award recipients. Each winner will receive a $5,000 cash award, a plaque and a travel stipend to attend the I Love My Librarian Award ceremony and reception in New York City on Dec. 4 hosted by the award co-sponsor, the philanthropic foundation Carnegie Corporation of New York.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/08/looking-nation-s-favorite-librarians-i-love-my-librarian-award

YALSA announces new Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) has announced its new Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award.
The purpose of the YALSA Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship is to foster research on teens, learning and libraries, specifically research that aligns with YALSA’s National Research Agenda by encouraging and assisting doctoral students in the field with their dissertation research.
“YALSA is thrilled to offer the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, which supports the work of up and coming researchers focusing on teens, learning, and libraries,” said YALSA President Crystle Martin. “The recipients of this award will help drive the field of research on teens, learning, and libraries forward, and bring new insights for practice on the best approaches to serving teens for their future success.”
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/yalsa-announces-new-doctoral-dissertation-fellowship

AWARDS AND GRANTS
Engle, Han, Kenney, receive Friends of ALSC Institute scholarships
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/engle-han-kenney-receive-friends-alsc-institute-scholarships

YALSA announces cohort 3 participants of Future Ready with the Library project
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/yalsa-announces-cohort-3-participants-future-ready-library-project

WEBINARS AND ECOURSES
LLAMA webinar helps you find the best talent for your library
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/llama-webinar-helps-you-find-best-talent-your-library

LLAMA webinar helps you create an emotionally intelligent organization
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/llama-webinar-helps-you-create-emotionally-intelligent-organization

Putting the 'Pop' in Information Literacy
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/new-iteration-putting-pop-information-literacy-ecourse

Rethinking Social Media to Organize Information and Communities
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/08/new-iteration-rethinking-social-media-organize-information-and-communities