[Michlib-l] Funeral Leave

Leslie Warren lwarren at nmu.edu
Fri Aug 10 11:24:13 EDT 2018

Because there are many types of significant relationships that don't fit
traditional or legal definitions of family, Northern Michigan University
allows employees to designate an individual. The "designated individual" is
treated like a spouse for purposes of funeral leave, Family and Medical
Leave, dependent care leave, etc.

This is from Northern Michigan University's Administrative/Professional
collective borrowing agreement. Similar language is in our other employee
agreements.

16.1.2 Funeral Leave. If a death occurs among members of an employee's
immediate family (as defined below), the employee will be excused from
work, with pay, for three (3) working days in order to attend the funeral
and to make other necessary arrangements. In the case of an employee's
parent, spouse or designated individual*, child, or stepchild, five (5)
working days will be permitted. Because of extenuating circumstances, the
Director of Human Resources may grant the bereaved employee additional time
charged to the employee's accumulated annual leave or may extend the period
of this funeral leave. An employee will be allowed one (1) day to attend
the funeral of an uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the employee or
employee's spouse.

Definition of Immediate Family: The immediate family shall be interpreted
as including: spouse or designated individual, child, stepchild, father,
mother, sister, brother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, stepfather-in-law,
stepmother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, daughter-inlaw,
son-in-law, grandfather, grandmother, grandfather-in-law,
grandmother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, half brother, half sister,
grandchild, and dependent persons (foster children or relatives residing in
the home). *The name of the designated individual must be on file with the
Human Resources Department at least six (6) months prior to utilization of
such leave.

A reasonable number of employees in the unit will be allowed to attend the
funeral of a fellow employee or former employee, without loss of pay,
provided they return to work after the funeral. Employees who serve as
pallbearers at a funeral of a fellow employee or former employee will be
paid during the time they must be off the job.

http://www.nmu.edu/hr/sites/Drupalhr/files/UserFiles/Files/Contracts/AP_Contract_FINAL_WEB_2015_-_2018_w-MOU.pdf

Leslie

--
Leslie A. Warren