[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Michigan History Conference, New Issue of Michigan History, History Skills Boot Camp, Strawberry Water, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Aug 24 13:31:03 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

The Michigan History Conference is approaching.reserve your spot!

The 144th Annual Meeting and Michigan History Conference will be held
September 21-23, 2018, in Sturgis, Michigan. The conference offers four
keynotes that cover a wide range of popular topics, including "Legends and
Lore of the Great Sauk Trail," "Michiganders on the Titanic," "At the Depot:
The Making of a Museum," and "Colon: Magic Capital of the World." The
standard registration deadline is September 9.
<http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> Fill
out the registration form on our website before it's too late!

ATTENTION: The room block at the Hampton Inn is now full. Please contact the
Holiday Inn Express (a half mile south of the Hampton across the state line)
at (260) 562-3660 to reserve a room at the conference rate. The cut off for
the discounted conference room rate is September 1.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> Check
out our website for more information.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Michigan-History-Conferen
ce-online.pdf> Download the conference brochure.

Homemade "Strawberry Water"

Before the summer's over, try out this recipe from the 1887 edition of The
Original White House Cook Book:

"Take one cupful of ripe hulled berries; crush with a wooden spoon, mixing
with the mass a quarter of a pound of pulverized sugar and half a pint of
cold water. Pour the mixture into a fine sieve, rub through and filter till
clear; add the strained juice of one lemon and one and a half pints of cold
water, mix thoroughly, and set in ice-chest [refrigerator] till wanted.

This makes a nice, cool drink on a warm day, and easily to be made in
strawberry season."

The new issue of Michigan History is here!

The September/October 2018 issue of Michigan History is now available to
purchase. For those who don't know, Michigan History magazine is one of
HSM's publications that provides history enthusiasts with exciting stories
about Michigan.

Take a look inside the magazine.

.         Hear the Roar in '68: The Detroit Tigers' Tale

.         A Road Less Traveled: The Pontiac and Grand River Trail

.         History, She Wrote: Detroit Working Writers

.         Mayday in Mid-Michigan: The Crash of Flight 67

.         Free story!
<http://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/current-highlighted-magazi
ne-story.pdf> A New Frequency: Detroit's WGPR

.         Thirteen Days in Shelby, Michigan

.         Bridging the Rifle River

.         Free story!
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/current-Made-in-Michig
an.pdf> Profiles: Esther Van Wagoner Tufty

 <http://hsmichigan.org/join/michigan-history/> Subscribe to the magazine.

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/back-issues/> Purchase the September/October
2018 issue.

SAVE THE DATE!

History Skills Boot Camp

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Lansing Community College West Campus

Attend a full day of workshops to hone your skills in the areas of living
history, historic preservation, managing a site, and more! A full list of
sessions will be available soon.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a product or company made in Michigan that you believe
deserves to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article
about a niche subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go?
We're here to help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries and manuscripts should be sent to
<mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming History HoundsT Sessions:

Path to Freedom: Cass County and the Underground Railroad

Wednesday, September 12

with Cathy LaPointe, Underground Railroad Society of Cass County

Can You Dig It? Archaeology at Fort St. Joseph

Wednesday, October 10

with Michael Nassaney, Western Michigan University

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Wednesday, November 14

with John Beck, Heritage Christian Academy

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Check out
our website for more.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum presents "Betty Ford: First Lady,
Women's Advocate, Survivor, Trailblazer," on Thursday, September 13, in
Grand Rapids.

The Petoskey District Library presents "Petoskey Poetry Palooza," on
Saturday, September 15, in Petoskey.

The Marquette Regional History Center presents "Epidemics," Wednesday,
September 26, in Marquette.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this

e-mail as part of your participation in the Michlib-l mailing list
(listserv), please follow their removal process.