[Michlib-l] Cricut question results

Perri Saunders p.saunders at woodlands.lib.mi.us
Mon Dec 3 11:09:18 EST 2018

Thanks to those who responded with your experiences!
Here is a re-cap of responses:

We do not have a Cricut at our library, but as an avid user of a Silhouette
Cameo (very similar to a Cricut), I would say this:

1.       If it’s available to the public, expect lots of questions. Even
experienced users need help with more settings sometimes, like tracing
photographs for cutting.

2.       Have patrons buy their own vinyl and/or cardstock. It can get
expensive. Place signs explaining what can be cut or you may have a patron
try to bring in something too thick for the machine to cut, causing damage.

3.       Be aware that wear and tear on the machine will be high with
people trying to figure it out. I would have multiple blades available; at
least one for card stock and one for vinyl since the card stock one will
wear the blade out much faster.

4.       Joanne’s usually offers Cricut classes in case a staff member
wants to attend to learn the machine.

5.       See if you have a local vinyl shop as they can be helpful; we have
a local shop here in Grand Rapids and we love them!

6.       The Cricut can be a wonderful tool…. If you know how to use it! I
love my cutting machine… I make just about everything, all the way from
shirts to stencils for glass etching to wood signs!

Good luck!

Kathleen

--

Kathleen Shaffer

Gary Byker Library

kshaffer at hudsonville.org

616.669.1255 M/Th

We have a Sizzix that is available for anyone to use, in the library. A
Cricut was donated to us last year, with a ton of stuff for it. We have a
scrapbook club that meets here, and some of the ladies showed us how to use
it, but basically, as with the Sizzix, it's just available here for people
to use with their own materials.

Marian Volek
West Iron District Library
Iron River, Michigan

We have one for staff use and LOVE it!  So much so, that I bought one for
my self.  Our Friends of the Library purchased it about a year ago.  We
have the Cricut Maker.  We use it regularly for cutting name tags, crafts,
vinyl for our library walls, and iron-ons for staff shirts.  IF we were to
make it available for public use, I would suggest that patrons bring their
own material and create their own Cricut account to make the design.  I
would ask that they schedule an appointment with a trained staff person.
It can be tricky to use and I don't feel it's something anyone could just
walk in and figure out.  There are a variety of mats, blades and markers
that are required if you want to be able to cut multiple material types.
Good luck!  If you do decide to offer the service, I would love to hear how
it goes.  Thanks!

*We have 2 Cricuts, both model Explore Air 2.  We've held two successful
programs (15 attendees at a teen-only one and 50+ at a teen and adult one),
but we do not loan it out for patron use.  During the program, we had me
give an introduction to the parts of the Cricut and how it works, then I
used the machine to cut a personalized item out of vinyl (sticky decals and
iron-on) for each person. If you'd like any more details of our program,
let me know!*

*Stacey Comfort*

*Youth Reference LibrarianDexter District Library3255 Alpine StreetDexter,
Michigan 48130(734) 426-4477*

--
Perri Saunders, Director
White Pigeon Township Library