[Michlib-l] Service animals and emotional support animals

Rudy Wright rwright at parchmentlibrary.org
Tue Feb 13 15:03:07 EST 2018

We are seeing an increasing number of "emotional support animals" coming into the library. We have always respected and welcomed service animals accompanying our patrons, of course. And, we have been given the relevant laws from Clare. Differentiating between the two groups and understanding our legal obligations aren't the issues.

How do you maintain a welcoming, comforting environment for ALL patrons? Is a strict "No Pets Allowed" policy the best solution? Do you manage things on a case-by-case basis, requiring the same behavior and habits from ESAs and their owners, and deal only with disruptions just as you would with a service dog? What differences might you have between policy and practice?

If you would all please share your point-of-view with me I will, in return, share the findings. Thanks for help with this "hairy" issue.

Rudy C. Wright

Assistant to the Director

Parchment Community Library

401 S. Riverview Dr.

Parchment, MI 49004

269-343-7747

parchmentlibrary.org

"Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

--
This message has been scanned by E.F.A. Project and is believed to be clean.