[Michlib-l] Seed collection

Pam Quackenbush pquackenbush at lyon.lib.mi.us
Fri Feb 23 11:29:06 EST 2018

Hello - There are currently 41 seed libraries in Michigan, and more coming along for this spring. On Sunday at the Central Michigan Seed Swap in Midland there will be a presentation on starting a seed library, as well as many other presentations. Free seeds will be available to everyone, but if you are starting a seed library you can get extra seeds to get you going. For more information visit the swap's website http://www.smallhousefarm.com/seedswap/
Also check their Facebook page and message them if you want the starter pack. https://www.facebook.com/CentralMichiganSeedSwap/
Another helpful Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MISeedLibrary/ and the Community Seed Resource Program group https://www.facebook.com/groups/673731699448199/
As for legalities, those have largely been put to rest. Most states have agreed to exempt seed libraries from any rules that apply to companies who sell seeds. Michigan is a very seed library-friendly state.

Pam Quackenbush
Library Technician
Lyon Township Public Library
27005 S. Milford Rd.