[Michlib-l] Wi-Fi thermostats

Rebecca Higgerson rhiggerson at brandonlibrary.org
Mon Jan 15 14:59:46 EST 2018

I was asked to share the results of my request for information about Wi-Fi
thermostats:

Highland Library is about 25,000 SF in two stories, opened in 2002 - we had
same architect as Brandon, not sure if we had same engineer doing the HVAC
design.

We went through a project this year with Goyette Mechanical to change out
all of our thermostats and our HVAC controls system from the old system to
a web-based system. I believe Milford Library did the same.

Our thermostats were old.  Logging into the old software program for
monitoring system was a big pain, and hard to train folks on.

Now we can log into a website and see all of the system information -
schedule, room settings and space temps. Goyette Mechanical maintains our
HVAC system, and if there is a problem they can now see it remotely, and
even get alerts sent to them when there's a problem. The web info helps
them w/ diagnostics - gives them more info, more accurate/thorough info ,
than my phone report of "a problem."

The new controls were great to have in place when we had one room hitting
over 80 degrees in late summer or early fall this year - they logged in
remotely, could see what was going on and give me suggestion over phone for
a fix. I followed instructions and did something and we got relief in that
space, without having to wait for them to find someone who could come out
on a service call - which that day was going to take at least an hour.

Not cheap, but the controls project was eligible for energy rebate and
Goyette handled the processing of the application. We just got the rebate
checks, which helps a bit.

Our main contact at Goyette for this project was Ken Bennett:

Kenneth Bennett
Project Engineer
Goyette Service

C: (810) 691-4619 <callto:(810)%20691-4619>
O: (810) 742-8530x363

kbennett at goyettemechanical.com

Hope this helps.

 --- jude halloran, Highland Library, 248-887-2218 ext. 110
www.highlandlibrary.info

I know a medium size church that switched over and they have saved about
1/3 of their costs because they now have better control of their system and
can easily turn the heat down when the building is not occupied.

Cindy Krueger

Marketing & Outreach

Dept. of Natural Resources

517-284-6053

kruegerc at michigan.gov

I'm not sure how much specific input I can offer, but Madison Heights has
that type of thermostat.  We followed at least the Senior Center in the
City.  Not sure how many other City buildings currently use them.  While my
Library Technician and myself were trained, the Public Services
Analyst/Planner with the Department of Public Services routinely handles
it, specifically with additions to the library*'s *meeting room (one of
several City Meeting rooms booked by DPS).  The room is scheduled as
unoccupied in the HVAC system when not in use.  I can forward your email to
Sean Ballantine if you'd like for more information on the system here.

Roslyn Yerman
Director
Madison Heights Public Library
240 W. 13 Mile Road
Madison Heights, MI 48071

I installed a Honeywell “Sensi” thermostat in my home.

I have been happy with it and see that the price has dropped.

As an additional option the “Nest” thermostat has come in to line price
wise also.

I think there are two issues you may want to consider:

1.       These are internet connected devices and may be hackable…

2.       The device must match the existing wiring.  The Nest and the Sensi
webpage both can help sort that out.

Best regards,

John Schaeffer

President Superiorland Library Cooperative

906.203.6082