[Michlib-l] Still time to take advantage of early-bird pricing for Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Wed Jan 17 12:43:37 EST 2018

There is still time to take advantage of early-bird pricing for the Michigan
in Perspective: The Local History Conference. Sign up today!

Early-bird registration pricing ends January 31, 2018.

Attention educators! SCECHs are now available!

Friday & Saturday, March 23 & 24, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf>

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the brochure for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference is held annually in
the Wayne/Oakland/Macomb tri-county area and is open to anyone interested in
state or regional history.

The largest of our three conferences, this year's conference offers.

.         Four keynotes

o   From Isolationist to Internationalist: Senator Arthur Vandenberg With
Hendrik Meijer of Meijer Inc.

o   Interviewing Michigan: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly With Chuck Stokes
of WXYZ/WMYD-TV 7/20 Detroit

o   From Mason to the Motor City: Malcolm X in Detroit With Ilyasah Shabazz
of Ilyasah Shabazz Enterprises

o   A Conversation With Judge Avern Cohn With Columnist and Commentator Jack
Lessenberry

.         Twenty-five breakout sessions that address local and statewide
history.

.         Nearly 50 exhibitors/vendors for attendees to visit.

.         Friday Reception featuring the musical ensemble "Michigan
Strings."

.         Saturday Gala: We Built This County: Voices of Macomb's Past.

.         Two days full of "meet and greets," refreshments, and optional
meals.

.         New for 2018! Attention educators! SCECHs are now available!

  _____

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michigan-in-Perspectiv
e-online.pdf> Click here to download the brochure for more information and
session descriptions.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration
/> Go to online registration.

Sign up today to take advantage of early-bird pricing for registration!

Come to hear these great sessions and more!

Steaming Over the Waves: The Walk-in-the-Water's Bicentennial With Walter
Lewis

Detroit 1967: The Three Trials of the Algiers Motel With Dan Aldridge &
Danielle McGuire

The Odyssey of Waukazoo's Band: A Fight to Stay Home With Eric Hemenway

>From POW to Punster: The Story of Sonny Eliot With Jane Nordberg

Votes for Women: Untangling Michigan's Suffragist History With Jo Ellyn
Clarey & Ruth Stevens

It Happened Here Too: Slavery in Detroit With Bill McGraw

The Murder of Vincent Chin: The Catalyst for Asian-American Civil Rights
With Frances Kai-Hwa Wang

Putting the World on Wheels: Michigan's Auto Labor Heritage With John Beck,
Steve Bieda & Brian Yopp

If These Waters Could Talk: Maritime Archaeology in the St. Clair Flats With
Daniel Harrison

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line.