[Michlib-l] Compilation of Free Computer Guest Passes Responses

Jessica Wilhoite jwilhoite at romuluslibrary.org
Mon Jul 9 11:13:30 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Listed below are the responses I received about offering free computer guest passes to veterans. Thank you all for your responses.

At this library, the borrower’s cards are free and all the programs are free also. I'm guessing that's pretty much true for most public libraries.

Marty Ferriby, Director

Hackley Public Library

The East Lansing Public Library provides free computer guest pases to anyone. As for library cards, we are currently reviewing our library card procedures/policies to make them more inclusive. One possibility may be a 14-day or 30-day free trial card or a guest card that allows for limited amounts of checkouts at any given time. We are actually meeting on Thursday to discuss ideas. I will let you know what we decide to do.

ELPL does participate in the visiting patron program.

Our library offers free guest passes for computer use to anyone that asks. Typically, a session is for 2 hours but if it isn't busy, the time can be extended by staff. I believe that the Brighton Library in Brighton, Michigan does as well.

Dana Allen

Howell Carnegie District Library

­ ______________________________________________________________________

At GARC we do not charge for guest passes for the computer. All you need is a TLN library card in good standing or a picture id (so we can verify that they do not have a card with excessive fines).

James B Lenze, Director
Garden City Public Library

We give free computer passes to anyone who asks for one. We don't have a specific policy for this, but standard procedure is to print a guest pass for anyone who asks.

We provide access to all services and materials to everyone free of charge.

Kimberly Young , Library Director
Houghton Lake Public Library

All of our computer guest passes are free at Lyon Township.

Jocelyn Levin, MLIS
Youth Services Librarian

We don't charge for guest passes, but we do offer free DVD rental to veterans.

Lisa Waskin, Director
Superior District Library

We have free access for anyone.

In this case, ELPL gives guest passes out free to anyone who asks for one.

We do not charge for guest passes. – CDL

Dexter provides free guest computer passes for anyone who wants to use our computers. We are a little farther afield from the compact metro suburbs, so we don't have as many people crossing boundaries. I think our connection speed and computer availability if vert similar to most of our neighbors. Hope this helps!

Paul McCann

Dexter District Library

​I assume you're talking about passes to use your public computers? If so, we don't charge for them at all. We also do not limit their time unless someone is waiting.

Deb Hemmye, Adult Services Librarian
Farmington Community Library

Thanks!

Jessica Wilhoite
Assistant Director/Youth Librarian
Romulus Public Library
11121 Wayne Rd.
Romulus, MI 48174
(734) 942-7589

Serving Romulus and Huron Township Residents

“I see libraries and librarians as front-line soldiers in the war
against illiteracy and the lack of imagination.” -Neil Gaiman