[Michlib-l] MeL Minute: County-level stats for eResources/Databases coming this October!

Breed, Liz (MDE) BreedL at michigan.gov
Thu Jul 12 13:52:23 EDT 2018

Greetings Library Community,

[cid:image003.png at 01D419E7.8E929D60]This past summer, many libraries asked us for a way to narrow down the remote, at-home usage of databases. Currently schools and libraries can only see the on-site usage of MeL databases: once the patrons leave the building the tracking stops. In order to balance patron privacy with this real need to better curate content for patrons, we have worked with vendors to provide county-level remote usage data in all of our new contracts for MeL. This means, starting in November, you will be able to see which eResources are used most frequently in your county. These stats will be posted in the MeL statistics section<https://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-18668_39174_54773---,00.html> as they become available.

As a quick preview of what you can learn starting in November, here are the top three counties that used MeL’s NoveList K-8 this past June:

·         Wayne County: 110,809 retrievals

·         Ingham County: 3,622 retrievals

·         Oakland County: 535 retrievals

To put these into context, here are the 2017 estimated populations for each county:

·         Wayne County: 1,753,616 people

·         Ingham County: 290,186 people

·         Oakland County: 1,250,836 people

Per capita, Ingham County is by far the top user of MeL’s NoveList K-8. Maybe this will change in the Fall when we have both NoveList K-8 Plus and NoveList Plus? Stay tuned!

Brought to you by Kathy Kosinski of the MeL Team.

MeL databases are available to Michigan residents or Michigan library access only.

Want more information on MeL?  Stay tuned for the next MeL Minute available on many Michigan library listservs, email us at contact at mel.org<mailto:contact at mel.org>,  visit http://mel.org<http://mel.org/>, or sign up for the MeL Minute and other Library of Michigan e-mail lists via GovDelivery<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/MILOM/subscriber/new>. We encourage you to share MeL Minutes with your colleagues and networks.

#IMLSGrant

Liz Breed
Michigan eLibrary Coordinator
Library of Michigan
Michigan Department of Education
517-373-4466
Effective Sept 2018 my new number will be 517-335-1497
breedl at michigan.gov<mailto:breedl at michigan.gov>
www.mel.org<http://www.mel.org/>

Nourishing Michigan’s Future…during school and during the summer!  Find a Summer Food Service Program site nearest you and encourage Michigan’s children to Meet Up and Eat Up!    www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup<http://www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup>