[Michlib-l] November is National Homeless Awareness Month - Free Webinar

Mary Jo Vortkamp mvortkamp at detroitpubliclibrary.org
Wed Jul 25 13:12:20 EDT 2018

Hi Michigan Library Team,

Please remember, November is National Homeless Awareness Month.  The Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness is hosting a webinar:

Homeless Awareness Month 2018: Best Practices for Community Engagement.  Join them on Aug 7th from noon-1 pm to learn from presenters from around the state about what events their communities have held in the past, and what they are planning for this year. https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist…/1143811343540991745

Keep in mind that Michigan has one of the largest populations of homeless students in the United States. In school year 2015-16, Michigan ranked 6th among states for the most homeless students. By comparison, Michigan ranked 10th for overall student enrollment. (https://poverty.umich.edu/about/child-homelessness-in-michigan/)

 About National Homeless Awareness Month

Traditionally MCAH has partnered with the folks at the National Coalition for the Homeless and their National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (https://hhweek.org/), but this year they decided to break from them and call it a month because over the last several years communities in Michigan have been hosting awareness raising events throughout all of November and saying it was their "Awareness Week".

They are currently in the process of updating MCAH's website with information for this year, but they have a Facebook group for folks interested in planning an event:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/345214895934<https://www.facebook.com/groups/3452148959349>

There is also Homeless Youth Awareness Month (that is not something MCAH have participated in because we saw it as part of the larger awareness raising campaigns.) Here is the campaign's website:  http://www.standupforkids.org/blog/article/national-homeless-youth-awareness-month

Thanks team and I hope your library gets a chance to participate.  This has been a great opportunity for my library to work with the organizations that serve youth experiencing homelessness in my area - it might in yours too :)

Have a great afternoon!

Mary Jo Vortkamp B.A., M.L.I.S.

Manager and Children's Librarian

Jefferson Branch of the Detroit Public Library

12350 E. Outer Drive

313-481-1761

Hours M & W 12-8 T, Th & S 10-6

Franklin Branch of the Detroit Public Library

13651 E. McNichols

Under Construction

[DPL Logo]<http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org>
Detroit Public Library Disclaimer

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) addressed in the message. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, distributing, or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.