[Michlib-l] CSLP Newsletter for May 2018 & Website is back up!

Lancaster, Catherine (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Jun 1 09:52:51 EDT 2018

www.cslpreads.org<http://www.cslpreads.org> is back in working order!
View this email in your browser<https://mailchi.mp/8dc68b57356c/cslp-newsletter-may-2018?e=dbb626af13>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/ed31fdf7-bdb5-4a6b-914b-6d20102f5ae2.jpg]

Be sure to check out this year’s webinar on the Early Literacy and Childrens Manuals hosted by the manuals editor. http://shopcslp.com/cslp/pages/webinars<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=9702b66eae&e=dbb626af13>
2018 PSA: https://www.cslpreads.org/2018-psas/<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=c8b7066e5b&e=dbb626af13>
2018 Incentive catalog: https://www.shopcslp.com<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=8b776790e4&e=dbb626af13>

Sign up for a CSLP Committee!<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=2923b755ec&e=dbb626af13>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/0a73eace-f385-4df0-b353-9a4150445335.jpg]<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=08c46dc2b6&e=dbb626af13>
We need your best programming ideas for our 2020 manual! The theme is “Fairytales, Myths, and Fantasy." The slogan is “Imagine Your Story“ Ideas need to embrace the theme and be complete enough to share. Ideas can be submitted at:
https://www.cslpreads.org/2020-idea-submission/<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=d978a0c8a0&e=dbb626af13>

Remember: Summer reading is not just for children, we need outstanding program ideas for adults and teens!

If your submission is chosen, you will have your name and library system listed in the chapter which includes the submission!

2018 Summer Reading Manual Rocks!
by Anne Lemay, Head of Youth Services, Franklin Township Library, NJ

We had scheduled a Make & Take program for children at the Franklin Township Public Library in Somerset, NJ, and unfortunately the librarian scheduled to do the program was out on Bereavement leave. With such short notice, I browsed through the 2018 children’s manual and found the Bird Callers in Chapter 4, Sounds and Nature.

The children present were ages 4 – 6 years of age, and the parents were there to help. It was a HUGE hit!

First, we looked at the National Audubon Society app recommended in that chapter. One dad downloaded it on the spot!  We listened to some bird calls, looking in particular for birds that might be in our backyards. Then we went to the activity tables where they colored their craft sticks using colored pencils (my addition to the manual activity). Most of the children put pretty patterns on theirs. After that, we assembled the bird callers. It took a few tries, especially for the younger ones, to make the bird caller respond, but even the youngest in the group were able to make them work. The fact that the manual included the science tips was another timesaving bonus – I could share it without having to look it up ahead of time.
Kids and parents had a blast! One mom, who is a teacher, said, "This is fabulous! Where do you get your ideas?" Of course, I told her about the CSLP summer reading program and the manual!
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/4d2b8dd6-c84f-47f8-90a9-7d97e5b837b4.jpg]

Some tips if you do this program:

  *   Allow a half hour to 45 minutes, depending on how many birds you find on the app first.
  *   We used soft and waxy colored pencils to give a good finish on the craft sticks.
  *   We also precut the paper strips, but let the children and parents fold them.
  *   Tell the children to hold the bird caller with their fingers on the rubber band.
  *   Have them just rest their lips gently against the other end and blow.
  *   If no sound is heard, adjust the rubber band slightly – it shouldn’t be too tight.
  *   For better sound, separate the folded paper and the craft sticks slightly on one end so the air can pass over and under it.
  *   Blowing at different spots can change the sound, making it higher or lower.
  *   Blowing in the rhythm of a certain bird call makes the caller sound more authentic.
  *   Extend the activity by sending the families home with the Bird Scavenger Hunt found on page 154 so they can explore their own neighborhoods.

Reading Rocks at the Black River Falls Public Library!
Youth Services Coordinator Rhonda Gorth reports that they are already generating excitement for this summer's reading program at the Black River Falls Public Library, WI. They have created a large cardboard standup for a fun photo opt. Children are encouraged to autograph the picture when they visit the library, and many class visits have already taken place. We look forward seeing the "after" shot in August!
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/9eea559f-3be4-4b4f-bf55-f0b9ca42afe4.jpg]

Is your library ready to rock?
Do you have a great programming idea for this year? Have you started the summer already? Please send your photos and any informative details to Luke Kralik at: luke.kralik at cslpreads.org<mailto:luke.kralik at cslpreads.org> I would love to share them in our newsletter.

Looking for some ideas to use or share? https://www.pinterest.com/cslpreads/<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=2f3eba5c38&e=dbb626af13>
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/24486eff-7a18-49d7-8cc2-4ce914f467b3.jpg]

Summertime Cross Stitch!
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/c84bb210-2d35-41c1-9fd6-55c88fc44ecc.jpg]
Looking for a fun project to do with your crafty teen group? Or perhaps the perfect gift for your director or retiring board member? Look no further! The official "Libraries Rock!" cross stitch pattern:

https://www.cslpreads.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/libraries_rock_pattern.pdf<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=1b45344a98&e=dbb626af13>

This fun pattern would look great on a pillow or hanging on a wall near the circulation desk. Be sure to play appropriately rocking music as you stitch!

What is on the horizon for CSLP?

2018: Theme/Music; Slogan/”Libraries Rock”; Artist/Brian Pinkney

2019: Theme/Space; Slogan/”A Universe of Stories” Artist/Leeza Hernandez

2020: Theme/Fairytales, Mythology, Fantasy; Slogan/”Imagine Your Story” Artist/LeUyen Pham

2021: Theme/Animals; Slogan/”Tails and Tales” Artist/Salina Yoon

2022: Theme/World-Social Justice-Unity-Kindness-Inclusion-Change-Diversity-Equity-Make a difference-Embrace different cultures; Slogan/”All Together Now” Artist/Sophie Blackall

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405/images/fe1bc2ca-6945-468d-bbcd-6b370c90b9b1.jpg]

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-pinterest-48.png]<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=e020838197&e=dbb626af13>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-facebook-48.png]<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=b2eb1a9d12&e=dbb626af13>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/color-twitter-48.png]<https://CSLPreads.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=043a7515ceb3ad45bdd2dd405&id=0e99daeaae&e=dbb626af13>