[Michlib-l] Guns in the Library

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Tue Mar 13 14:30:25 EDT 2018

Hello:

I sent this information to Sharon and I thought it may be useful to others….

The result of the CADL v. Mich Open Carry court case was indeed to confirm that public libraries may not impose restrictions on firearms that are not already a matter of State Law.

I have attached an information guide that I wrote covering this topic.

Please note that this guide does NOT yet include any information on any firearm or gun bills that are currently in consideration in the legislature, or that have been considered in the wake of the Parkland shooting.

I hope it is helpful.
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks!
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.