[Michlib-l] Security of unstaffed areas - compiled responses

jshirtz at uproc.lib.mi.us jshirtz at uproc.lib.mi.us
Thu Mar 29 11:53:20 EDT 2018

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for information on
security in unstaffed areas of libraries. It's all very helpful! Responses
are pasted below and attached.

Happy Easter!

Sincerely,
Jessica Shirtz, MLIS

Library Director
Ishpeming Carnegie Public Library
317 N. Main Street
Ishpeming, MI 49849
906-486-4381
uproc.lib.mi.us/ish/

Security of Unstaffed Library Areas
Compiled Responses from Michlib-L

We are moving to location that will have those security issues and unstaffed
areas and we decided to install security cameras and monitors.  We will keep
the door unlocked and just monitor through security cameras.

Nannette Pretzer
Director
St. Charles District Library
104 W. Spruce Street
St. Charles, MI  48655
www.stcharlesdistrictlibrary.org
989-865-9371
n.pretzer at stcharlesdistrictlibrary.org

We have security cameras throughout our meeting room areas. Staff can
monitor activity from any staff computer and use the cameras when we are
closing the library.  One staff member can watch the other doing rounds.

--
Mark C. Bronson, MLS
cheboygan Area Public Library
mbronson at cheboyganlibrary.org

Hi Jessica,
We have a few areas like the ones you noted in your email – and I will do
my best to sum up what we have done to help with security.
First, we keep all exits other than our front door locked.  All patrons
enter and leave through the same set of doors.
We have keypad locks on all our interior doors (to access of computer lab,
meeting rooms, staff areas, etc.) so that it is easy for staff to gain
entry but members of the public cannot open doors we have closed.  This is
particularly helpful in our Reference Room.  That room is out of the view
of our desk area and has a door that leads directly into our back
workroom.  Having access for staff is very helpful, and knowing the public
cannot stroll through that door is very reassuring. 
For the most part, we unlock the doors to our computer lab and meeting
rooms in the morning and leave them unlocked.  The keypad lock on those
doors has a deadbolt we can open or close with the code.  Our Local
History Room is the located the farthest from our desk.  That room has
also had issues with vandalism.   We still unlock the door in the
mornings, but now we keep it closed with a sign asking patrons to check at
the desk.  They aren’t actually restricted from using the room (and our
emergency exit is in the back of the room so we probably can’t lock the
door during open hours anyway) but the sign and closed door have taken
care of the issues (for now!)
Finally, we are going to be installing security cameras this year in
conjunction with our interior redesign.  One big motivator for the cameras
was a new hallway that will be created with this project.  The hallway
will be used to access our handicapped restrooms and a quiet study room
and will have no visibility from the desk.  The quiet study room will
remain locked (due to its location) unless requested for use. 
Hope that helps give you some ideas! 
Megan
Megan Buck
Director
Dickinson County Library
401 Iron Mountain Street
Iron Mountain, MI 49801
(906) 774-1218
www.dcl-lib.org
meg at dcl-lib.org

During my time here, it has always been that way.  We often get requests
to have
access through the courtyard door - especially in the summer.  We use
either the
excuse of safety or the fact our people counter is only located on the
front door to
help explain why we limit access.  Most people are understanding, but
there is
always going to be someone who wants something "special"!  :)
One thing that helps us is the fact we have one parking area - so we don't
have
doors that appear to be the most logical "front door" for a parking area. :)
Megan

Jessica,

Our Children's Area is in the Lower Level (read basement). Under a previous
director, the floor was frequently closed during the school day with a sign
in front of the staircase that told patrons to ask at the desk if they would
like to use it. Many people found it off-putting so I have made it a
priority to change things. Over the last 3 years, we have transitioned to
having it staffed 100% of the time the library is open. It took some
shuffling of desk time and some mental transitioning of the staff who
thought it a waste of time to sit at the desk when there may be no one down
there. Over time, the use during the school day of families with preschool
age or homeschool children has drastically increased. The staff has gotten
used to loading a cart with tasks to take with them. I'm not sure if this
helps your specific problem.

Good luck to you. The hardest for me was changing the staff mindset. We
always had had enough staff here to staff it, but they thought they should
be getting things done at their desks since there frequently was no one
there. Nowadays, almost anything they need to do can be done from any
computer with Internet access and Office. It has really helped the overall
impression of the library to not have that sign sitting out there stating
that the Children's Room is closed.

Erin Schmändt
Director
Caro Area District Library
840 W. Frank St.
Caro, MI 48723
(989) 673-4329 ext. 102
Fax: (989) 673-4777
erin at carolibrary.org

Hi Jessica,

We have two doors at the back of out building. One leads in to our main
lobby and is open during all library hours. The other door is for the
conference room and the desk can not see who enters. We keep that door
closed unless there is a program in the conference room. People seem to
understand. No one has complained.

Most of our library is not close enough to the circ desk for us to watch. We
have not had a lot of trouble but we are getting security cameras in those
areas. It feels like teens or preteens are abusing the spaces lately. They
lay on top of one another in the chairs and love seats, go in to the
bathroom  together (boy and girl in same bath room). Its time to get the
security lights. We have a strong patron behavior policy and don't put up
with anything. If we have told a group of kids to settle down then next time
they are acting out we tell them to leave. I feel that my staff has plenty
to do without having to babysit.

Barbara
lbbartel at uproc.lib.mi.us
Hi, Jessica -
We have a basement area that can be made accessible to the public for
special programs.  This is also the area utilized for Friends of the Library
book sales.  We use the area at least once a month for patron activities,
but keep the patron access door locked when a program is not in progress.

Hope E. Nobel, M.S.L.S.
Director
Tamarack District Library
P. O. Box 469
832 South Lincoln Avenue
Lakeview, MI  48850
989.352.6274
lvwdirector at llcoop.org

Hi Jessica,

In Dexter, we have an unsupervised lower level.  Our meeting rooms are
there and we also have rotating art exhibits in the area.  We have a
CCTV security camera system that monitors the area.  This records as
well as displays live pictures to a monitor.  Because of the use
(library programs, outside groups meeting and casual patrons viewing the
art) it is always accessible.  The camera system has been good to help
monitor behavior.  Thankfully, most of the behavior is just juvenile
antics, but it helps the staff know when that stuff is going on.  Let me
know if you have any other questions.  I'd be happy to go into more detail.

Paul

Paul McCann                                Dexter District Library
Library Director                        3255 Alpine St.
Phone: 734-426-4477                        Dexter, MI 48130
Fax: 734-426-1217                        www.dexter.lib.mi.us
pmccann at dexter.lib.mi.us

Hi Jessica,

Unfortunately, we don't have a separate entrance to the meeting rooms.
We had difficulty finding a site that the community liked. While the one
we ended up with is great, it presented some challenges.  We have three
floors and the meeting room is on the lower level, facing out to a park
with very limited parking.  It would be nice to have this as an
entrance, but the cost of staffing is prohibitive and because of
everyday theft, we can't have an unsupervised entrance, so it is just an
emergency exit.

One of the things we run up against with the security cameras is the
Michigan Library Privacy Act and interactions with the sheriff's
department.  One day, a deputy stopped by to ask if we had exterior
cameras because a woman who lives across the street left her walker
outside and it was stolen.  We put up some dummy camera domes by the DVD
area to deter theft and the deputies are always surprised that those
aren't live.  The more surveillance you have, the more requests you will
get for footage and the police need to have a warrant to access that data.

Knock on wood...we have had very little vandalism.  Only two or three
incidents in nine years and two of those were just graffiti on the
retaining wall that faces the railroad tracks, out of view of
passersby.  But our area isn't immune to issues.  Chelsea District
Library recently had an indecent exposure incident and they produced
footage that assisted in a conviction.  My feeling is, for every person
that feels uncomfortable with unsupervised areas, there is probably
someone who feels uncomfortable being watched everywhere they go, so you
can go too far in both directions.

Keep me posted on your progress from time to time.  We may be thinking
about replacing our system in the next few years and I'll be interested
in hearing about the decisions you make.  I have a Board member who,
given his preference, would install cameras in every study room, every
reading area and around the perimeter of the entire building.  It's hard
finding that balance that suits everyone,

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Jessica:

We have a tech area and conference room that isn't staffed- unless a staff
member is providing tech help.  There is an outside door out of the
conference
room- this is kept locked but can be used as an emergency exit.  We did
have a
bell on it but it no longer works.

We don't have any other added security although we can hear if someone is
being loud or crazy in either room- there are double doors into this space,
the staff just cannot see the room from the circulation desk at all and even
from the ramp, one can only see a small portion of the room.

The space is mostly an adult area as our computers, magazines and local
history are in the space.  That said, we did found a couple of our school
yearbooks cut up and we do have issues with people ripping out parts of
newspapers and magazines.  We have placed signs up there asking everyone
to be
respectful of library material and so far it has helped.

Good luck!

Kerry Fountain, Director
Saranac Public Library 616-642-9146
Clarksville Area Library  616-693-1001
sarkf at llcoop.org

We were able to do this project last year, and the manufacturer promoted
it as a feel good story.
In practice, some of the doors mentioned are still not working right, and
there is a camera out right now with a repair order in. But mostly has
worked well and been popular with staff. Writing from my alumni account
where I read lists; normally Mary.Carleton at farmlib.org

https://securitytoday.com/Articles/2018/03/01/Booking-an-Upgrade.aspx?Page=1
Hello Jessica,

We have some security cameras in the areas that are not in our line of
sight   We also have a keypad entry to our workroom. We do have signs that
we have security cameras in use.
I think it all helps.
Thanks.
Francene Sanak, Trenton Veterans Memorial Library, fsanak at trenton.lib.mi.us