[Michlib-l] Generator Responses

Kate Van Auken kvanauken at rawsonlibrary.org
Fri May 11 16:25:50 EDT 2018

Attached are the responses I received about libraries having backup
generators.  I appreciate all the insight from this group!  I received many
thing.

The next step is deciding on procedures and policies to follow if we
install one.  Do we just use it during regular library hours when the power
is out or do we remain open 24 hours?  This brings up staffing and perhaps
safety issues.  Thoughts???

What I have learned researching this topic:

TALK TO AN ELECTRICIAN!  I am so fortunate that our electrician came right
out and looked at our situation.

1) Power generators are rated according to the number of kilowatts (kW) of
electricity they produce.  15 kW can run a small to mid-size home, 25kW and
up is like a mini power plant and can run a small to mid-sized home or
business.

*Note that the total running and starting watts of all the appliance being
used at one time should not exceed the power source’s wattage.  A/C units
draw a lot of power.

2) The units can run on natural gas, propane, or diesel fuel.

3) There are single phase and three phase models which one you can run
depends on your electrical system.

4) They come with 5 different decibel levels:  Industrial Quiet,
Residential Quiet, Super Quiet, Ultra Quiet, and Entertainment Industry
Quiet.

5) Depending upon size, you may need a cement pad installed too.

6) They should come with a warranty and make sure to ask about a
maintenance plan.

7) Consider grants if you want to pursue this.  Homeland Security is not an
option (FYI) but county foundations and WalMart may be willing to assist as
it is for the good of the community.

Again, thank you for your input.  I really appreciate it!
Kate

Kate Van Auken, Director
6495 Pine Street
Cass City, MI  48726