[Michlib-l] How do you gather Uses of Wireless Logins per Year for LOM Annual Report?

Pete Sneathen psneathen at herrickdl.org
Fri May 25 16:14:56 EDT 2018

Hi Susan,

We simply send the syslog logs from our wireless controller to a logging solution.  There are many free logging solutions available, but we use a paid for product called AlienVault.   You can do the same for individual Access Points, if you don't have a centrally managed wireless solution.  Once all the logs are centralized, you create a search for successful logins and then export the results into something like Excel.  Some logging solutions are sophisticated enough to produce nice looking reports, but most require some type of basic syntax language in order to effectively search the raw syslog's for this level of detail.

Since you'll need a logging solution to accomplish this task, I suggest your research includes support for your specific wireless solution.  For example, we have a Ruckus wireless solution, so when we researched loggers one of our requirements was that the logger had the ability to identify and parse Ruckus Syslog events, and more importantly it could identify successful logons/access.  This allows the logger to earmark these types of logon/access events specifically, making your life easier to produce the desired reporting.

One solution you might want to look into is Splunk.  They have a free version that is good for up to so much storage per day (storage in disk storage size, not number of events) and as long as you only point your wireless to it, you should be well under the daily limit.  As loggers go (and ya, loggers can get complicated) this is one of the 'free' loggers I found to be rather easy to use and produce the exact type of reports and dashboards you are looking for.

There are also third party cloud based solutions where you simply point your wireless users to an external proxy server and the cloud service will gather information and allow you to produce reports, but this will result in an annual subscription cost.  Depending on the cost, it may or may not be less expensive than supporting your own in house logging solution, even when considering labor alone as the upfront time to get a logger up and running, collecting logs and producing results in a form that makes sense can be very time consuming.  However, I have not personally researched cloud solutions...so I don't have much insight to share.

Bottom line, I don't see any reason why you would need additional hardware to accomplish this.  Then again, I am not intimately acquainted with your network infrastructure.

I hope this information helps.

Pete Sneathen
I.T. Manager
Herrick District Library