[Michlib-l] WebJunction content and upcoming webinars

Atkin, Evette (MDE) AtkinE at michigan.gov
Wed May 30 12:52:57 EDT 2018

Greetings!

Check out new content and upcoming webinars for WebJunction. WebJunction is brought to you, in part, by the Library of Michigan and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Highlighted Content on WebJunction

  *   How Maryland Libraries Are Using Virtual and Augmented Reality (and How Your Library Can Too):<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/virtual-and-augmented-reality.html> Libraries in Maryland are exploring how virtual and augmented reality can serve their patrons. They were among the early adopters of this technology in libraries, and paved their own paths when it came to setting best practices, developing public programming, and even learning how to use the headsets. This article explores their programming and includes tips for bringing virtual and augmented reality to your library.
  *   Grant Opportunities for Reading Programs<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/grant-opportunities-reading-programs.html>: For many public libraries in cities and towns across the country, literacy programs are a key part of their public programming. These often go beyond involvement in summer reading activities, and could include year round efforts that support readers of all ages. If your library needs financial assistance with offering a program or getting access to books, check out these grant opportunities. It's also worth checking with local foundations, either in your city, town or region, that could support your initiatives. Funders are often looking for quality programs to support and libraries are always a strong choice!

Free WebJunction Webinars for You

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog<http://learn.webjunction.org/>.

Making Space for Active Learning in Your Library

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 ♦ 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific ♦ 60 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/making-space-for-active-learning.html

Transformation happens when a library reimagines and reconfigures its physical space so that community engagement shifts from passive to active. The fifteen libraries that participated in the Small Libraries Create Smart Spaces<https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/smart-spaces.html> project are dynamic proof of that. They learned and applied principles of active learning, placemaking and design thinking to create “smart spaces” where the community learns and creates together and strengthens social bonds. In this webinar, we’ll describe an innovative process that any size of library can follow to uncover community needs and translate those needs into flexible lively learning space. Hear about the real experiences of two project participants who transformed drab, underused spaces into hubs of activity and energy. It can happen at your library.

Learning and Growing Together: WebJunction, the Learning Place for Libraries

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 ♦ 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific ♦ 30 minutes

Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/webjunction-overview-webinar.html

Since 2003, WebJunction has helped thousands of library staff members build job skills to deliver transformational services to their communities. Our resources are always free, all are welcome, and we’re always open.

Join this 30-minute webinar to

  *   learn about WebJunction, who we are, what we do, and how you can leverage our resources;
  *   explore the variety of self-paced, web-based training resources available for free; and
  *   hear about our projects and programs that connect public library service to community needs.