[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Research Rendezvous, Last of the 2018 Workshops, Upcoming History Hounds, Interlochen Center for the Arts, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Nov 2 14:36:19 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

Research Rendezvous

On Saturday, December 1, the Michigan History Center and Library of
Michigan, in partnership with the Historical Society of Michigan, will
launch an event for Michigan History DayR (MHD) students titled "Research
Rendezvous."

The event is organized for students to learn how to properly conduct
research and develop a theme and thesis for their MHD projects. The free
event includes workshops with professional librarians and archivists, free
printing for students who find online sources, and opportunities to explore
the Library of Michigan and tour the Capitol. For more information about
Research Rendezvous, call (517) 324-1828 or visit the Library of Michigan's
Research Rendezvous Facebook page.

Register for the Last of the 2018
History Skills Workshops!

Essentials of Registration & Cataloging

with Sandy Schwan, Chief Curator,
The Castle Museum of Saginaw County History

When: Wednesday, November 7, 1-4 p.m.

Where: Grand Blanc Heritage Association Museum, 203 E. Grand Blanc Rd.

Lights, Camera, Action! Using Videos and Media to Promote Your Organization

with Amy Wagenaar, Historical Society of Michigan

When: Friday, November 9, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.

Where: Meijer Education Center at the Historical Society of Michigan, 5815
Executive Dr.

Essentials of Registration & Cataloging

with Sarah Humes, Grand Rapids Public Museum

When: Wednesday, November 14, 1-4 p.m.

Where: USS Silversides Submarine Museum, 1346 Bluff St.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/#form> Visit our website to
register online.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> Learn more about our History
Skills Workshops.

Interlochen Center for the Arts

Interlochen Center for the Arts near Traverse City originated as the
National High School Orchestra Camp. In 1926, University of Michigan
instructor Joseph Maddy brought together high school students to play at a
conference. The young musicians begged for a chance to continue playing
together, so Maddy promised them a music camp. The camp opened in 1928 and
grew rapidly. Today, students from around the world study music, theater,
dance, and other arts at Interlochen.

Upcoming History Hounds:

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

The S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald sank more than 40 years ago. Since then, the
ship's demise has been examined, explained, and explored. So is there
anything left to learn about the shipwreck? Or has it all been said and
done? On November 14 at 7 p.m., John Beck will show that there is still
plenty to learn.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-members/> Register for FREE as a HSM member.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-non-members/> Register online as a non-member.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

Holiday Shopping?
Look no further!

Our Michigan History magazine subscribers love receiving their bi-monthly
issue in the mail. It's chok-full of stories of Michigan's rich history
throughout the ages. If you have a history enthusiast to shop for this
holiday season, think of Michigan History. Gift subscriptions are available
at hsmichigan.org or (800) 366-3703.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/join/michigan-history/> Sign up for a gift
subscription here.

What is Michigan History Day?

Michigan History DayR (MHD), an educational program of the Historical
Society of Michigan, is a yearlong educational program that encourages
students to explore local, state, national, and world history.  Winners of
the state level Michigan History Day competition in the Junior and Senior
categories move on to compete in National History Day in College Park, MD.

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwHAA2_y7U> Watch our brand new MHD
video.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/mhd/> Visit our website for more information about
MHD.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Joint Archives of Holland presents "A History of the West Michigan
Tourist Association," Tuesday, November 20, in Holland.

The Grand Blanc Heritage Association and Museum presents "Old-Fashioned
Christmas," Monday, December 3, in Grand Blanc.

The Orion Township Public Library presents "Build a Snowman Day," Friday,
December 21, in Lake Orion.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.