[Michlib-l] Circulating Game Boards, Responses

Sharon Crotser-Toy scrotsertoy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:48:00 EDT 2018

Thank you, everyone, for the very generous responses to my request about
circulating board games. As always, I’m in awe!

Some of the responses included attachments. Hopefully, the tech gods were
smiling on me today and they’ll all be included at the end of the text.

Thanks again!
*****
We started a board game collection about a year ago, and it's gone . . .
fairly well.  The patrons really like it, but there have been some
headaches for staff.
I've attached the template I created for cataloging the games, and examples
of the content and name labels we put on the inside of each box.  I looked
at how other libraries had cataloged the games in their collections -- some
were bare bones records, just a title and a subject; some were very
elaborate and detailed -- and took things I liked from a bunch of different
places . . . I figured if I was going to have to spend the time creating a
record from scratch, I was going to include enough information to make it
worth my while.
It was slow getting started, but having the games on a shelf where patrons
could see them helped a lot -- not behind the desk or someplace else where
patrons would have to ask to see them.  Also, we've invested in tons of
Ziploc bags -- the small snack-sized ones and the sandwich-sized.  When
we're processing the games, we put all the parts into bags (dice, tokens,
cards -- anything that fits in them, really).  It helps keep the games
organized, and hopefully helps patrons return all the pieces.
Then you have to decide how much staff time you want to put into the
collection, and if you care if pieces are missing when the games are
returned.  Since we purchased all of the games for our collection, we
decided that it mattered that all the pieces were brought back.  That means
I count all the pieces when processing the games, and desk staff counts the
pieces when they are returned.
That also means desk staff has to take time to call patrons and ask about
missing components, and we had to figure out a way to charge patrons fairly
for missing pieces.  We charge $0.10 per missing piece if we have a
replacement or can find a replacement (we now have a stockpile of timers,
marbles, RISK army men, etc.), but some games (especially those for teens
and adults) have specialty pieces that are needed to play the game, so we
charge the full replacement cost if those pieces are lost . . . thankfully
that has not happened yet.
This is probably way more information than you wanted, but hopefully some
of it is helpful,
*****
My previous library circulated board games and puzzles.  We let them
circulate for 2 weeks with a limit of 2 per family at one time.  We made a
list of the pieces that needed to be returned with a note of a $.25 charge
for missing pieces (games only).  We also had it stated that if they told
us of a missing piece when they returned it (the assumption was that the
previous patron lost it), then we would not charge them.  Puzzles with
missing pieces were just removed from the collection.  Most board game
companies offer replacement parts at little or no cost - you just have to
contact them.  Only once did we have to charge a higher replacement cost
when a game came back severely damaged.
*****
We have circulated board games for almost a year. In general, they come
back intact, with all pieces.

We do a few things to help with that. Our board games go out for 2 weeks.
We tape the box edges but also put them in plastic storage cases (mostly
because ours go in our delivery trucks between branches). All games have a
label that gives a list of all the game's contents. It helps patrons make
sure they have everything. We also laminate the rule books for each game.
Any cards that can be sleeved are, we purchase MayDay Games card sleeves.
All of these things cost quite little compared to some of the games we
circulate.

As for replacement pieces, it really depends on the game.  We try hard to
make it as convenient and cost-efficient for patrons as possible. For
instance, when a card for Ticket to Ride was chewed on by a patron's dog,
they were willing to pay for the whole game, however we contacted Days of
Wonder (the manufacturer), and they actually sent an entire deck of
replacement cards free.  For other games, I always look online for
replacement parts first. There are a lot of sites that you can purchase
pieces from.

*****
We've just started to circulate board games. They can be checked out for
one month (I personally think that's too long..a week would be adequate),
and we have a sticker on the front of the box and the inside cover
explaining that if all the pieces are not returned or damaged, the patron
will be responsible for the cost of replacing the entire game. I think it's
going to be tricky keeping track of cards, play money, etc. but we'll see.
*****
Just a thought…. Instead of circulating the games, start a gaming club so
adults can meet and play at the library… using your games or bringing their
own.
*****
We circulate our board games.  If I can find a record in OCLC I will use
it. If one isn't there then I do original cataloging.  Our games have a
special collection code for Games.  We circulate them for 1 week.  So far
we haven't had any problems with this. I would be happy to answer any other
questions you might have.
*****
Board Game Template
024 a UPC barcode
040 a bdl b eng e rda
090 a BG ABC [First 3 letter of title]
100 a Game designer [last name, first name], e game designer.
*More important for teen/adult games; info can be found on boardgamegeek.com
245 a Title h [game] / c Name of game designer.
246 a [If necessary]
264 a City, State : b Company, c Copyright.
300 a 1 game ([description of components from box (general – 240 cards, 6
pawns, etc.; will be
expanded in 505 line)]) : b material type [cardboard, plastic, etc.] ; c in
box [l x w x h] cm.
336 a three-dimensional form 2 rdacontent
337 a unmediated 2 rdamedia
338 a object 2 rdacarrier
500 a Number of players statement from box
500 a Playing time statement – “Playing time: x minutes”
*Can be found on boardgamegeek.com
500 a Choking hazard warning from box
505 a Game box – [detailed list of contents; expand from 300 line (240
cards (120 green, 120 red); 6
pawns (1 of each: black, blue, green, red, yellow, white)]
520 a Short phrase or summary provided on box or rule book.
521 a Age information from box
650 a Topic x Games.
*Rarely used except for specialty games for teens and adults
655 a Genre [ Strategy, Card, Children’s, etc.] games.
655 a Board games. [last 655]
*Always use even if item is not a board game – allows user to pull up
entire game collection
Board Game Template
710 a e publisher.
*****
To avoid additional fees upon return,
the game should include:
Instructions
63 Green Apple Cards
441 Red Apple Cards
To avoid additional fees upon return,
the game should include:
Instruction Insert
Gameboard
6 Dice
24 Marbles (4 of each: blue, green, orange,
pink, white, yellow)
To avoid additional fees upon return,
the game should include:
Game Guide
Gameboard
5 Armies in War Crates (40 infantry,
12 cavalry, 8 artillery of each: blue,
green, indigo, orange, & yellow)
5 Dice
56 Cards in Card Box
To avoid additional fees upon return,
the game should include:
Instructions (in English & Spanish)
Gameboard
104 Sequence Cards
135 Playing Chips (50 blue, 50 green,
35 red)
To avoid additional fees upon return,
the game should include:
Rulesheet
Gameboard
95 Door Cards
73 Treasure Cards
10 Player Tokens (5 male, 5 female)
1 Custom Die
Apples to Apples
11/2017 $14.79
Aggravation
11/2017 $19.99
Risk
11/2017 $29.99
Sequence
11/2017 $17.99
Munchkin
11/2017 $29.95

--
Sharon Crotser-Toy
Director

Connects People, Inspires Ideas, Transforms Lives