[Michlib-l] ALA News for November 6, 2018

Jennifer L. Dean deanjl at udmercy.edu
Wed Nov 7 11:30:51 EST 2018

ALA News for November 6, 2018

NEWS FROM THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION

ALA, GLBTRT continue to voice support of LGBTQ civil liberties
The American Library Association (ALA) and its Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT) released a joint statement in response to proposals to rescind Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) federal civil rights protections. Currently the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Justice Department have undertaken initiatives that would abolish federal recognition of approximately 1.4 million Americans who identify as transgender under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and deny the protections of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to Lesbian, Gay, and Transgender Citizens.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/ala-glbtrt-continue-voice-support-lgbtq-civil-liberties

Author Robin DiAngelo is the ALA President’s Program Speaker at the 2019 Midwinter Meeting
For more than 20 years, Robin DiAngelo has worked with a wide range of organizations in the private, nonprofit and government sectors consulting and training on the issues of racial and social justice. She says, “I grew up poor and white. While my class oppression has been relatively visible to me, my race privilege has not. In my efforts to uncover how race has shaped my life, I have gained deeper insight by placing race in the center of my analysis and asking how each of my other group locations have socialized me to collude with racism.”

DiAngelo, the author of the New York Times best-seller "White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism," was invited to present in the ALA President's Program by ALA President Loida Garcia-Febo, who leads the Libraries - Strong Communities endeavor. The session will take place from 3:30-5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019, at the 2019 ALA Midwinter Meeting & Exhibits in Seattle.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/10/author-robin-diangelo-ala-president-s-program-speaker-2019-midwinter-meeting-0

Public Library Association supports libraries in connecting consumers to health care coverage
Nov. 1, 2018 marked the beginning of the six-week enrollment period for health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and the Public Library Association (PLA) is providing support for public libraries to help their communities get covered. As part of a national partnership made possible by funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Community Catalyst, PLA is promoting enrollment in the ACA Marketplace through libraries.

Through its new insurance education and outreach initiative, Promoting Health Communities: Libraries Connecting You to Coverage, PLA recently awarded mini-grants to dozens of public libraries across the country. Grant recipients will disseminate information, offer education, partner with health insurance enrollment and provider groups, and encourage community members to enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace during the open enrollment period.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/public-library-association-supports-libraries-connecting-consumers-health

Coretta Scott King Book Awards Committee seeking applicants for Book Donation Grant
Underfunded libraries, schools and non-traditional organizations that provide educational services to children are invited to apply to receive one of three Coretta Scott King Book Donation Grants. The Coretta Scott King Book Awards Donation Grant was created to help build collections and bring books into the lives of children in preschool programs, faith-based reading projects, homeless shelters, charter schools, underfunded libraries and other community organizations.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/coretta-scott-king-book-awards-committee-seeking-applicants-book-donation

What Do the Midterms Mean for Your Library? An American Libraries Live Webcast
What will the upcoming midterm elections mean for your library and community? Join this free 60-minute webinar at 11:30 a.m. ET on Friday, Nov. 9 to get an overview of key results from the 2018 elections and explore their implications. ALA’s Washington Office will dig into how the outcomes could affect engagement from library advocates and how ALA’s upcoming advocacy plans will align.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/what-do-midterms-mean-your-library-american-libraries-live-webcast

National Friends of Libraries Week Award applications due Dec. 4
United for Libraries coordinated the 13th annual National Friends of Libraries Week Oct. 21-27, 2018. Libraries and Friends across the country celebrated with city and statewide proclamations, and events including fundraisers, membership drives, author signings, and more. Two Friends groups will receive the National Friends of Libraries Week Award, $250 each, in honor of their celebrations during the week.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/national-friends-libraries-week-award-applications-due-dec-4

ALA, EBSCO Information Services extend scholarship opportunities to librarians outside U.S. to attend Annual Conference
The American Library Association (ALA) and EBSCO Information Services (EBSCO) are partnering to offer three scholarships to librarians residing outside of the United States who are looking to attend the 2019 ALA Annual Conference & Exhibition.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/ala-ebsco-information-services-extend-scholarship-opportunities-librarians

ALSC now accepting applications for 2018 ALSC/Candlewick Press 'Light the Way' Grant
The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) and the Library Service to Underserved Children and Their Caregivers Committee (LSUCTC) are now accepting online applications for the 2018 Light the Way: Library Outreach to the Underserved grant. This $3,000 grant, made possible by Candlewick Press in honor of Newbery Medalist and Geisel Honoree author Kate DiCamillo, will go to a library conducting exemplary outreach to underserved populations through a new program or an expansion of work already being done.
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2018/11/alsc-now-accepting-applications-2018-alsccandlewick-press-light-way-grant

YALSA seeks editor for upcoming publication
The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is seeking an experienced editor for its upcoming publication based off its Teen Services Competencies for Library Staff resource. The deadline for applications is Dec. 1, 2018.
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/10/yalsa-seeks-editor-upcoming-publication

2019 ALA MIDWINTER MEETING

Public Library Association announces events at 2019 ALA Midwinter Meeting
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/11/public-library-association-announces-events-2019-ala-midwinter-meeting

2019 ALA ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Call for proposals for 2019 ALA Annual Conference Poster Session
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/11/call-proposals-2019-ala-annual-conference-poster-session

AASL NATIONAL CONFERENCE

AASL seeks National Conference program reviewers
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/11/aasl-seeks-national-conference-program-reviewers

ALA PUBLISHING

A wide-ranging overview of the digital archives landscape
http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2018/11/wide-ranging-overview-digital-archives-landscape