[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Upcoming History Hounds, Can Michigan History, MHM Gift Giving, Call for Submissions, Covering History, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Nov 30 13:57:11 EST 2018

LAST HISTORY HOUNDS SESSION OF 2018
Riding the Rails:
The Pere Marquette 1225 Locomotive

in the Meijer Education Center at the Historical Society of Michigan, 5815
Executive Dr., Lansing, Michigan

The Pere Marquette 1225 was just one of dozens of "Berkshire"-type steam
locomotives. Most went to the scrapyards, but the 1225 survived as an
outdoor exhibit at Michigan State University. At 7 p.m. on Wednesday,
December 12, presenter Kevin P. Keefe tells the amazing story of the rebirth
of the historic Berkshire locomotive and her becoming the real-life model
for the Polar Express.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-members/> Register for FREE as a HSM member.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-non-members/> Register online as a non-member.

Covering History

Picturesque covered bridges originally had a practical purpose. Wooden
bridges soon decayed from the effects of snow, rain and sun, but covered
bridges had rooves that kept the timbers dry and made them last much longer.
Timothy Palmer built America's first covered bridge in Philadelphia in 1805,
which prompted towns in other states, including Michigan, to copy the idea.
Several Michigan covered bridges still stand, including the Fallasburg
Bridge near Lowell, the Ada Covered Bridge, and the Ackley Covered Bridge in
Greenfield Village.

Can Michigan History magazine withstand a
four-legged paper shredder?

 <https://www.facebook.com/michiganhistory/videos/261514811232442/> Visit
the MHM Facebook page to find out!

Regardless of whether or not it can, it has already withstood the test of
time-we are in our 102nd year of sharing Michigan's stories! Read about
Simon Pokagon's Birch Bark Booklets, another timeless publication,
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fhsmichigan.org%2Fwp-content%2F
uploads%2F2018%2F11%2FMHM-Simon-Pokagon.pdf%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1XC5kKlc7p6Fd6l5f
T4_kdeMv4NvhpeABXUGUclGuVXkXHE-k8Wb5M8gU&h=AT3WT9i2CzBNaC-7YSEhZZJ0guqQINqkS
8LHvJirfupn2wgE8QHsveCKMz7ODpixMSU1NsO17lDCrmoe8qkm4aom-OHL_PvgHPH3kWMjcbgug
B4oa4pxO7s9zni_HIUWUZOwO8wE> here for FREE.

Holiday Shopping?
Look no further!

cid:image010.jpg at 01D472B8.EB15A440Our Michigan History magazine subscribers
love receiving their bi-monthly issue in the mail. It's chock-full of
stories of Michigan's rich history throughout the ages. If you have a
history enthusiast to shop for this holiday season, think of Michigan
History. Gift subscriptions are available at hsmichigan.org or
(800) 366-3703.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/join/michigan-history/> Sign up for a gift
subscription here.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a Michigan business or community that you believe deserves
to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article about a niche
subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go? We're here to
help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries should be sent to  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org>
editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Les Cheneaux Historical Association presents "Festival of Trees Open
House," Saturday, December 1, and Sunday, December 2, in Cedarville.

The Grand Blanc Heritage Association and Museum presents "Old-Fashioned
Christmas," Monday, December 3, in Grand Blanc.

The Tri-Cities Historical Museum presents "Senior Holiday-Sing-A-Long,"
Wednesday, December 5, in Grand Haven.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.