[Michlib-l] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Kalamazoo Public Library Announces 2019 Reading Together Title: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Farrell Howe farrell.howe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 15:50:43 EDT 2018

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*October 10, 2018*

*CONTACT*

Karen Trout
Coordinator, Reading Together
Kalamazoo Public Library
269-553-7895  karent at kpl.gov

*Kalamazoo Public Library - 2019 Reading Together Author:*
*Angie Thomas: The Hate U Give*

Kalamazoo, MI - Wednesday, October 10, 2018. Kalamazoo Public Library
<http://www.kpl.gov/> is pleased to announce the Reading Together
<http://www.kpl.gov/reading-together/> title for 2019: *The Hate U
Give *by *New
York Times* bestselling author Angie Thomas. Join us at Chenery Auditorium
<http://www.cheneryaud.com/> on Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 7 pm to hear
Thomas trace the development of her book—and in so doing, speak to the
heart of race, activism and social change in America today. Admission is
free and open to the public. The presentation will be followed by a book
signing. Bookbug/this is a bookstore will sell copies of *The Hate U Give* at
the event.

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter navigates between the poverty-stricken
neighborhood where she lives and the upper-crust suburban prep school she
attends. Her life is up-ended when she is the sole witness to the shooting
of her childhood best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. As Starr finds
herself even more torn between the two vastly different worlds she
inhabits, she also has to contend with speaking her truth and, in the
process, trying to stay alive herself.

*The Hate U Give*—widely known as the first Black Lives Matter-inspired YA
novel—has been a #1 *New York Times* bestseller for 70 weeks. Described as
“the best—and most important—book of the year,” by *Entertainment Weekly*,
it has already been adapted into a major feature film (Oct. 19), and
Thomas’ hotly anticipated follow-up *On the Come Up (*Feb. 5) is generating
buzz. Thomas’ keynotes resonate with the same authenticity, insight, and
hope that make her book so powerful, and give context and background to the
culture, politics, and movement that inspired it.

Copies of *The Hate U Give* are now available at all five KPL locations
<http://www.kpl.gov/locations-hours/>.

*“Angie Thomas has written a stunning, brilliant, gut-wrenching novel that
will be remembered as a classic of our time.”** – John Green, #1 NYT
Bestselling Author of The Fault of our Stars.*

*About the Author*
Angie Thomas is the inaugural winner of the Walter Dean Myers Grant 2015,
awarded by We Need Diverse Books. Born, raised, and still residing in
Jackson, Mississippi—and a former teen rapper—she holds a BFA in Creative
Writing from Belhaven University and an unofficial degree in hip hop.

*About Reading Together*
The purpose of Reading Together is to build a stronger community with
deeper connections through the common experience of reading the same book
and exploring its themes together. When we do that, we engage and learn,
not only about ourselves, but more importantly about each other and the
world around us.

By experiencing the same book, hearing the author of that work speak right
here in Kalamazoo, and examining the book’s themes through a local lens, we
are able to embrace our similarities and differences from a common point of
reference.

Very simply, when we read together, we grow together. Learn more at
www.kpl.gov/reading-together.