[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Conference Registration Deadline Approaching, Upcoming History Hounds, History Skills Boot Camp, Roosevelt on Trial, Upcoming Events

HSM Main hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Sep 7 16:11:22 EDT 2018

cid:image002.jpg at 01D0250E.A301ABF0

Three Days Left to Register at the Standard Price for the Michigan History
Conference!

Standard registration for the Michigan History Conference ends on September
9! After that date, late registration pricing begins.

The 144th Annual Meeting and Michigan History Conference will be held
September 21-23, 2018, in Sturgis, Michigan. The conference offers four
keynotes that cover a wide range of popular topics, including "Legends and
Lore of the Great Sauk Trail," "Michiganders on the Titanic," "At the Depot:
The Making of a Museum," and "Colon: Magic Capital of the World."

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> Fill
out the registration form on our website now to avoid late fees.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/annual-state-history-conference/> Check
out our website for more information.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Michigan-History-Conferen
ce-online.pdf> Download the conference brochure.

Roosevelt on Trial

Did you know that former President Theodore Roosevelt sued the editor of
Ishpeming's newspaper, The Iron Ore, for libel?

In 1913, George Newlett, publisher of The Iron Ore, printed an article
stating that Roosevelt "gets drunk.and not that infrequently." In a
week-long trial in the Marquette County Courthouse, Roosevelt denied the
accusations and Newlett dramatically announced that he had been mistaken.
Roosevelt asked the court for only minor damages, so the jury awarded him
six cents.

UPCOMING HISTORY HOUNDS

Path to Freedom: Cass County and the Underground Railroad

Cass County played a key role in the Underground Railroad, as did Quakers
James Bonine and Stephen Bogue, who were members of an anti-slavery network.
Join us on September 12 at 7 p.m. for a presentation on how they and other
like-minded abolitionists sheltered freedom-seekers bound for Canada and
helped establish a thriving community of free African Americans in the
county.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-members/> Members can register FOR FREE on our website.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/hh-registratio
n-non-members/> Non-members can register for $7 on our website.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Check out
our upcoming sessions.

SAVE THE DATE!

History Skills Boot Camp

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Lansing Community College West Campus

Attend a full day of workshops to hone your skills in the areas of historic
preservation, managing a site, historic skills outreach, reenactors and
living history, and more! A full list of sessions will be available soon.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/boot-camp/> Please fill out the form on
our website if you would like to be notified when the schedule is available.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a product or company made in Michigan that you believe
deserves to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article
about a niche subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go?
We're here to help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries and manuscripts should be sent to
<mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming History HoundsT Sessions:

Can You Dig It? Archaeology at Fort St. Joseph

Wednesday, October 10

with Michael Nassaney, Western Michigan University

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Wednesday, November 14

with John Beck, Heritage Christian Academy

Riding the Rails: The Pere Marquette 1225 Locomotive

Wednesday, December 12

with Kevin P. Keefe, Author

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> Check out
our website for more.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Chesterfield Historical Society presents "Heritage Days," Saturday,
September 8, and Sunday, September 9, in Chesterfield.

The Yankee Air Museum presents "Behind the Scenes Day," Saturday, September
22, in Belleville.

The Chippewa Nature Center presents "Geocaching Sleepy Hollow Park,"
Saturday, September 29, in Midland.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this

e-mail as part of your participation in the Michlib-l mailing list
(listserv), please follow their removal process.