[Michlib-l] Cash Register Software? compilation

Don Priest dpriest at southgate.lib.mi.us
Tue Sep 18 17:11:19 EDT 2018

I heard from a few libraries, answers are below.

Hi Don,
We use Square for credit/debit cards. Other than that, we write it down on a paper and total the drawer every night. I would love to know about something that we could use on a computer to keep track of the money we receive. A cash register seemed like overkill for our library as we average less than $10 a day. But if we could keep track on a computer and print a page at the end of the day, it would be great. I hope that you get some great ideas!

Hi Don

We are woefully behind the times! We use an actual cash register, Sam3s ER-285m. It has 15 departments, so we can easily see how much was collected in fines, copies, faxes, etc. We've had it for over 10 years.

We have an actual cash register + a POS for credit card. The POS reports on the credit card, and for the cash register entries I use an Excel file. It’s simple, easy, and will never stop working because of compatibility issues.

Guess I'll be getting a cash register! Thanks for the replies!

Don Priest
Southgate Veterans Memorial Library
14680 Dix-Toledo Rd.
Southgate, MI 48195