[Michlib-l] Great hands-on program: photographer Jeff Smith

Kristin Fontichiaro font at umich.edu
Tue Sep 25 16:45:58 EDT 2018

Hi, everyone --

Benzonia Public Library and the U-M School of Information had a great time
on Saturday co-presenting photographer Jeff Smith (also of the U-M School
of Information) for a pair of workshops (see attached flyer), and we wanted
to recommend him as a potential teacher for your library.

Jeff started with a two-hour in-library session on taking better smartphone
photos, including hidden help built into camera apps, lighting, and editing
tools. I'm not exaggerating to say that his tips elicited actual gasps.

In the afternoon, he met a group for a photo walk through downtown Beulah.
Imagine finding photographic gold in an alleyway, looking down from a
hilltip, or by crouching in beachgrass to get the best lake view! Then, he
showed how he chooses and edits to bring out the best in the photos.

Jeff is a natural teacher of both beginners and experts. He's genuinely
interested in others' work, smoothly balances one-on-one advice with
large-group guidance, and takes deep pleasure in helping others learn. He
also enjoys exploring new communities.

Here are some links to help you learn more about his work:

Jeff's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jmsmith802/
Jeff's website: http://www.jeffreysmithphoto.com/
Write-up about Jeff's workshop:
http://imlsmaking.sites.uofmhosting.net/2018/09/pro-photo-day-in-benzonia/
Photos from Jeff's workshop (but not *by* Jeff!):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/michiganmakers/albums/72157672892509448

As Amanda noted afterwards, this workshop was a real success in reaching a
maker/hands-on/creative audience that includes men, and we're excited about
photography as a means to balance gender in programs.

If you would like to reach out to Jeff for a workshop possibility, you can
email him at jmsmith802 at gmail.com.

Thanks, Kristin

--
Kristin Fontichiaro