[Michlib-l] Book series reading level 1 -3 grade

BillieJo Bluemer billiejo at rauchholzlibrary.org
Wed Sep 26 13:54:31 EDT 2018

Hello,

I'm asking for suggestions on beginning chapter books  specifically geared
for reading level 1st - 3rd grade. I need to update and add  to  our
collections and with recent requests from parents/children, I need to focus
on the 1st-3 grade reading level. I do have books in that interest range but
have discovered quite a few tend to be a high 3  or in the 4 for accelerated
reading level.  I need to focus on more of the 2nd grade level and they have
to be chapter books.

When you are in a school district where students cannot read a book below
their tested reading level (in some cases cannot read above it either) and
are required to achieve a certain amount of points each marking period or
their grade is lowered,  I do at some times have to pay attention to the AR
level. I had my first student in yesterday who left upset because a book he
really wanted to read does not have an AR test so he said "I can't read it";
I really dislike Accelerated Reading! It's to the point where a book will go
untouched if it's not an AR book or at the right reading level; we will hear
non-stop until June "I can't read that book" by numerous students.

Would you share what new series are popular with your 1st - 3rd graders? I
would really like reviews from actual readers before selecting new series to
purchase.

BillieJo Bluemer

Director

Rauchholz Memorial Library