[Michlib-l] Alpena millage passes; capital project to follow

Eric Magness-Eubank emeacl at alpenalibrary.org
Thu Aug 8 10:38:25 EDT 2019

On Tuesday, August 6, the Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
passed a 20-year renewal of a 0.25 mill levy in order to finance a
renovation of the Library facility.  The unofficial results showed 2,284 for
the millage and 938 against.  We are thrilled that almost 71% of the voters
approved of extending the millage out for 20 years.  The ACGNFPL is
expecting to launch a $3.7 million renovation of its 1973 facility in
February 2021.  We have been working with the firm Quinn Evans Architects
since 2016. In 2017, an initial 2-phase project was stalled by the discovery
of a significant quantity of asbestos material on the ceilings, which
ultimately meant that the project couldn't be phased.  The great news is
that it passed; the bad news is now we have a lot of work in front of us. J

Eric Magness-Eubank

Library Director

Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library

emeacl at alpenalibrary.org

989.356.6188 ex 11