[Michlib-l] Hiring for the New Belleville Area District Library

Amy Greschaw agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 3 18:33:05 EST 2019

Greetings, library community,

As some of you may know, the Belleville Area District Library is in the process of building a brand new 31,000 sq. ft. building. The new library is almost complete! We estimate we'll be moving into the new facility toward the middle of January and opening to the public in February. Right now, we're looking to hire some creative, friendly new faces who want to help us shape the future of our library services.

Please see the attached job postings, and help us spread the word. Details are pasted below my signature for the benefit of digest-only readers.

Amy Greschaw
Head of Adult Services
Belleville Area District Library
167 4th St.
Belleville, MI 48111

(734) 699-3291

JOB POSTING

Librarian, Part-Time (Youth and Adult Services Positions Available)

Starting Salary: $18.50 /hr.

Hours: 20-24 hrs. /week

Deadline: Friday, December 20, 2019

The Belleville Area District Library is growing, and we’re looking for dynamic, motivated individuals who want to help us shape the future of our organization. We are currently in the process of completing a new 31,000 square foot building, estimated to open in February, 2020. In addition to the brand new library, this December we are opening a 1,200 square foot satellite media center in Sumpter Township that will provide computer access and materials circulation services to a greater segment of our community.

The BADL is a Class V Library, serving a diverse population of 42,000 in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township. Our staff is highly collaborative and endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service.

Responsibilities:

· Provides reference, readers’ advisory, and computer assistance to library patrons.

· Responsible for collection development of assigned areas, including selection, weeding, and promotion of those materials.

· Collaborates with department staff to plan and implement programming.

· Contributes content for library webpage and social media to inform users about library programs, collections, and services.

· Communicates and works cross-departmentally to ensure a consistent quality of user experience throughout the library.

· Collaborates with other library staff as needed on interdepartmental projects and programs.

· In charge of the library and staff in the absence of the director, assistant director, and department heads.

· Performs outreach to businesses and organizations within the community.

· Supervises the pages who shelve department materials.

· Stays abreast of library trends and maintains skills through involvement in committees at the The Library Network consortium, at professional development conferences, workshops, or events.

Qualifications:

· Master of Library Science or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program.

· Possesses or is eligible for a level 2 certificate from the Library of Michigan.

· Must demonstrate effective communication skills and an ability and willingness to work collaboratively.

· Must have a strong public service orientation.

· Enthusiastic, friendly, self-motivated and creative.

· Strong obligation to confidentiality.

· Tactfulness and adaptability in dealing with colleagues, the Board, and the public.

· Strong computer and technology skills, including experience with Microsoft Office applications, internet search techniques, popular email and social media services, and basic troubleshooting of printers, copiers, fax machines, and other library equipment.

· Knowledge of digital services available to library users.

· Comfortable instructing others in both group and one-on-one settings.

· Must be able to stoop, bend, reach, walk, stand, and lift up to 20 pounds.

To Apply: Application can be found at [ http://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

Submit cover letter including department preference, resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at [ mailto:agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us | agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us ] .

JOB POSTING

Library Assistant, Part-Time

Starting Salary: $14 /hr.

Hours: 10-20 hrs. /week, split between Sumpter media center and main library

Deadline: Friday, December 20, 2019

The Belleville Area District Library is growing, and we’re looking for dynamic, motivated individuals who want to help us shape the future of our organization. We are currently in the process of completing a new 31,000 square foot building, estimated to open in February, 2020. In addition to the brand new library, this December we are opening a 1,200 square foot satellite media center in Sumpter Township that will provide computer access and materials circulation services to a greater segment of our community.

The BADL is a Class V Library, serving a diverse population of 42,000 in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township. Our staff is highly collaborative and endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service.

Responsibilities:

    * Provide reference and readers’ advisory services to library users under supervision of librarian staff, in Youth or Adult departments, as assigned.
    * Maintain an excellent working knowledge of the functions of the library catalog, public computers, personal devices, and digital resources such as databases and downloadable books and assist library users with these resources.
    * Perform library opening and closing duties.
    * Assists the librarians and/or department heads with projects as needed.
    * Maintains and enhances job skills through continuing education activities.
    * Other duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

· Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience.

· Possesses or is willing to obtain a Level 4 certificate from the Library of Michigan.

· Must be able to perform basic troubleshooting of computers and printers.

· Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.

· Must be comfortable downloading e-books and using other web-related technologies.

· Must be self-motivated, industrious, and mature; able to identify projects and work independently.

· Must possess good judgment and problem solving abilities.

· Must have a strong public service orientation and effective communication skills.

Submit cover letter, resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us.