[Michlib-l] copy machine inquiry - responses

Stacy Pasche spasche at benzieshoreslibrary.org
Wed Feb 13 14:11:07 EST 2019

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry regarding copy machine/scanning
services. Below are responses:

I would recommend contacting Applied Imaging.  Here's a link to page that
has a pdf with the copier/printer vendor contacts that TLN recommends.
https://tln.lib.mi.us/discounts/

I’m former IT, and like most have a lost/hate with printers. Without
knowing your situation exactly…it sounds like maybe your best bet is a
$1000+ machine. You can handle all of your staff printing, public printing,
copies, and even scanning to email with a single machine that can last a
decade, instead of trying to support multiple smaller ones. Again, your
situation dependent, if you buy a machine outright you only have to pay for
toner, or work with a maintenance company to keep toner in stock or lease a
machine.

Mari Martin 517-388-7539 or toll free 800-643-1822 Was with Hasselbring
Clark but I think they are now Applied Imaging.  She is a miracle worker.
Found a machine that was no longer a "new" model and it works perfect for
what we need.  It faxes, copies, scans and sends...and I didn't think we
need that much but we do use it alot.
Call her and see what she has to offer.  Tell her Joann sent you....lol

We replaced our office printer about two years ago and it has been chugging
along without problems. It is a laser printer and I’m not happy about the
cost of ink but I think that is a problem no matter what you go with. It
does start warning that the ink is low way before it runs out so we just
ignore the messages until the printing starts to get light.
Here is what we have:
https://smile.amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-Multifunction-Wireless-Replenishment/dp/B014CSKE7E/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=hp+laserjet+pro+mfp+m477fdw&qid=1549638474&s=Office+Products&sr=1-4

We have two kyocera taskalfa printers (3252ci) at our main branch and they
do everything we need them to do. They copy, print, scan to email/usb (and
can be set up to fax) we have had very little problems with them and they
get used heavily. It might be too much for what you need though; our
smaller branches have a tabletop size printer (kyocera ecosys m6535cidn)
that does everything that the big one does (except for the ledger sized
paper) that might work for your purposes. Its their only machine; they have
it set up to print, copy, fax and scan. We have a service contract through
Brady's though, so if anything goes wrong we can call them to fix it.

We lease ours through Great Lakes Business Systems on Woodmere in TC on the
recommendation from the TADL tech department.  We have are beyond pleased.
All maintenance, toner, etc. included, pay by the print.  They call monthly
for a print number of color and B&W off of machine.  TIP:  We make sure as
staff to print in B&W as much as possible and make sure even if it's a b&W
to choose B&W on the print screen it does make a difference in the count.
We charge patrons .20 for B&W, .50 for color and .20 to scan to email, and
1.00 per sheet for faxing. Great Lake:   https://glbsi.com/

We've replaced ours in the last year with this model: HP Color Laserjet
Flow MFP M880 and have been pretty satisfied. This was through Precision
Printers, out of the Kalamazoo area. We are a small library (class II),
although that printer gets plenty of use.

--
Stacy Pasche,
Library Director

*"Sometimes it's fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney*