[Michlib-l] Fine forgiveness question

Deborah Haak dhaak at threeriverslibrary.org
Wed Jan 2 14:22:20 EST 2019

Here are the compiled responses to the question of receiving donations to
target patrons in most need of fine forgiveness. Thanks to everyone for your
thoughts!

Deborah Haak

Accounts Technician

Three Rivers Public Library

Three Rivers, MI

FINE FORGIVENESS RESPONSES

NADL had a patron donate $20 dollars last month with the request it be used
to pay children's fines so that they may continue to check out books. My
staff suggested young patrons names, and I followed up with the guardians to
be sure paying the fines off was okay with them. (One parent teaches
responsibility to her child by requiring her to make good on her fines. I
suggested she allow the fines to be paid with the donor's gift, and explain
to her daughter why her fine was paid and to require her daughter to "pay it
forward" for someone else--teaching the value of giving!) The mother was
thrilled with the idea.

A note was placed in each patron's account explaining the fine was paid by
an anonymous person. I also kept a receipt of each fine paid along with
documentation of the donation received and filed them together with other
patron transactions.

Kelly Tinkham, Director
Newaygo Area District Library
44 N State Road
Newaygo, MI 49337
231-652-6723

I was curious too how you would identify these people, avoid giving their
names to the donor, and make sure to not make a judgement call in selecting
them.
If your circ. system allows for block notes on borrower records that would
be a way to notify the borrower  (An anonymous donor paid your fines in the
amount of $....).
I'm looking forward to what you find out from others.

Stephanie

PS.  I still think about Three Rivers Library with fond memories (worked
there for 11 years up until December 1996).

Our library used to have a Food For Fines program.  For one week prior to
Thanksgiving patrons could bring in non perishable food or hygiene items.
For every item donated we would forgive $1.00 of fines.  It helped low
income patrons pay off large fines easier because they could purchase items
cheaper than $1.00.  Patrons with no fines would often donate as well.  Our
branches would give the food to a local food pantry.

Jami Cromley

Director

Community District Library

www.mycdl.org <http://www.mycdl.org>

989.743.3287

We had a situation like that. A person who always paid much, much more for
his copies than he owed. Picture owing .70 and giving us $5! This happened
throughout the year. I applied that to some fines owed by a family and I
knew they were struggling. The next time they came in, I simply said that a
donation had been made to pay fines for others and theirs had been taken
care of.

------
Phyllis Rickard
Director
North Adams Community Memorial Library (zv245)
110 E. Main St., PO Box 248
North Adams, MI 49262
517-287-4426
northadamslibrary at gmail.com <mailto:northadamslibrary at gmail.com>
http://www.northadamscml.michlibrary.org/

We do a Fine Forgiveness Day in January as a way for patrons to start the
new year out right.  Then we also do one in June so Patrons can be fine
clear for the summer reading program. We do not forgive collection fees or
lost book fee.

Diane Willick <dwillick at ruthhughes.org>

ORIGINAL QUERY: