[Michlib-l] New marijuana laws and drug free workplace

Margaret Bentley margaret.bentley at sdl.lib.mi.us
Sat Jan 12 13:27:21 EST 2019

I received two responses which are included below:

Below is the policy from my private, non-profit academic library's
university employee manual. It appears our administration is distinguishing
between 'abuse and intoxication' and prescribed medications that are used
in a way that doesn't impair performance. I think it would be helpful to
have a definition of 'impaired work performance'.  Thank you for putting
this together for Michigan libraries. HTH, Rebecca

"With the recent legalization of marijuana in Michigan, below are reminders
of what stands in our employee manual:

*291 Unacceptable Activities*
* Occurrences of any of the following violations, because of their
seriousness, may result in immediate dismissal without verbal or written
warning:*

·         *Being intoxicated or under the influence of controlled substance
drugs while at work; use, or possession, or sale of controlled substance
drugs in any quantity while on institution premises except medications
prescribed by a physician which do not impair work performance.*

*806 Substance Abuse*
* The possession, sale, or use of mood altering substances at the workplace
or coming to work under the influence of such substances shall be a
violation of safe work practices and will be subject to disciplinary action
including possible dismissal.  The University may find it necessary to test
for drugs after a major safety violation or prior to clearance at time of
employment."*

Southgate Veterans Library

The new law already prohibits use of recreational marijuana in public
places.  It also looks like places that are drug free can still discipline
employees who use marijuana at work, or come in high.  I found a pretty
good breakdown of some of the details here

https://www.petoskeynews.com/featured-pnr/token-rules-a-quick-look-at-michigan-s-new-marijuana/article_12355376-ea6a-5621-8128-4e6d826f7c09.html

There's certainly a lot that still needs to be worked out, I imagine we'll
be seeing conflicting information and repercussions for years.  Hope that
helps!
Margaret Bentley
Adult Services Librarian
Shiawassee District Library--Owosso