[Michlib-l] Possible ADA problem in the making

lois-sez lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Tue Jan 22 18:32:32 EST 2019

As both a performer and librarian I was approached by a librarian for ideas
on a possible ADA problem that could easily become a problem for all
libraries.  I'm also the mother of a hearing impaired daughter and
appreciate the posting on program publicity about providing assistance with
advance notice.  This, however, might take that stated assistance and
create problems with copyright, privacy and more.

 The library has a homebound resident wanting initially video access to
library board meetings.  They have been providing that by having a staff
member tape them.  Now there is a similar request to permit attending
programs this way.  The library would be unable to do this with their movie
program and can see this being a problem beyond that for other programs.  I
agreed.  Musicians, for example, would be ruled out for most 20th century
music.  The venue, not the performer, is liable for payment of royalties.
As a storyteller, only material in the Public Domain would be able to be
used.  Sometimes I have received permission as long as electronic
reproduction is not made.  What would this do for Fair Use when a librarian
does a storytime?  It definitely goes beyond what is permitted under Fair
Use.  When the library director brought up privacy concerns for the
audience, I suggested the camera angle avoid the audience.  Later, thinking
about my own programs, I realized this also will affect audience
participation in a program, requiring permission forms.

 As an example of the latter, and the copyright issues, I told the director
about a program I'm developing about prohibition (High Times in the Dry
Times) which stretches from Michigan's entry into prohibition two years
before the entire nation until its ending in 1933.  This would possibly
require royalties for some music such as "Happy Days Are Here Again."
(Fortunately the Charleston and the song "Nobody Knows You When You're Down
and Out" just entered Public Domain.)  The point is both lectures and
concerts may require library payment for both spoken text and music still
under copyright.  (That could include some preschool songs if a child or,
in this case, grandparent want to "attend" with a grandchild.)  Looking at
those privacy concerns, I plan to have individuals in the audience show
large pictures about what I'm discussing.  That idea of camera angles could
require anyone not wishing to be seen sit behind the camera.  Try that with
preschoolers.

 I gave her the number of a lawyer particularly attuned to the
copyright/royalty issue, but I'd love to have others here add their
thoughts and suggestions before this becomes a new standard for libraries.
 Lois

 	 		 			 			Lois Sprengnether Keel
			http://www.LoiS-sez.com
 			and blog at http://www.StorytellingResearchLois.com
			Storyteller in MI Arts & Humanities Directory
			and in Historical Society of Michigan Directory
			http://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storytel
ler-lois-sprengnether-keel/
			State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
			Webmaster for http://michiganstorytelling.org/