[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: Michigan Birthday Sale, Early-Bird Registration Closing Soon, #10YearChallenge, Call for Judges, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Jan 25 15:52:45 EST 2019

Happy Birthday, Michigan!

Celebrate Michigan's 182nd birthday with a gift from us-a discounted NEW
Household Membership* to HSM

Only $34.95 through January 27!

(offer applies to new members only)

 <http://hsmichigan.org/2019/01/24/michigan-birthday-sale/>

 <http://hsmichigan.org/2019/01/24/michigan-birthday-sale/> Order your
Household Membership* today!

A Household Membership includes.

.         Michigan History magazine

.         HSM's quarterly publication, Chronicle

.         Discounts on HSM publications, including the Historic Michigan
Travel Guide and Michigan History Directory

.         Special pricing for our History Skills Workshops and our three
annual conferences

.         Participation in our Michiganders on the RoadT tours

.         FREE access to the History HoundsT Lecture Series

.         Your membership fees also support these HSM programs: Michigan
History DayR, Centennial Farms, Milestone Awards, State History Awards, and
Upper Peninsula History Awards.

.         And much more!

*Offer applies to new members only, visit our website for details.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/2019/01/24/michigan-birthday-sale/> Order your
Household Membership* today!

The Michigan in Perspective: The Local History Conference returns March
22-23

at the Sterling Banquet & Conference Center,
34911 Van Dyke Ave, in Sterling Heights

Early-Bird Registration ENDS January 31, 2019!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration/>
Register today!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration/>
The Historical Society of Michigan's largest conference, the Michigan in
Perspective: The Local History Conference features historical keynotes,
engaging sessions, and-for the first time-mini-workshops.

Topics range from the origins of Faygo pop to the life of Aretha Franklin,
Detroit's "Queen of Soul," and are presented by historical experts from all
corners of the state.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/> Learn more
about the conference.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/conferences/local-history-conference/registration/>
Register for the conference online.

Did you see our #10YearChallenge?

A popular trend this month online is to showcase a photo of yourself from
2009 and juxtapose it with current photo from 2019. We decided to join the
fun! Take a look at this side-by-side comparison of the January/February
2009 cover of Michigan History next to its January/February 2019
counterpart. Michigan History has seen quite a few updates since 2009,
including some design elements, content changes, and a commitment to telling
the stories of all Michigan's peoples. We look forward to continuing to
improve our magazine in the years to come!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/michiganhistory/read/> Check out what
we're up to in our latest issue!

Calling all volunteers! Michigan History DayR is in need of history
enthusiasts to volunteer as judges

We need the help of individuals with an interest in history and education to
serve as judges at the Michigan History DayR State Finals. The most
important qualities for a judge are strong common sense and an enthusiasm
for interacting with students. You should have a lively interest in history,
but not necessarily a specific background in history. We provide training in
how to judge the Michigan History Day entries, and you will be placed on
teams with experienced judges.

Judges evaluate the participants' entries and provide constructive feedback
to the students. As part of the judging process, you will have the
opportunity to interview the students who created the projects. One of the
pleasures of judging at Michigan History Day is meeting students who have a
passion for their topic!

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwHAA2_y7U&t=3s> Watch our Michigan
History DayR video.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/mhd/mhd-judges-form/> Become a judge!

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

We have some exciting events planned for 2019.don't miss these exciting
offerings!

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> History
Hounds Lecture

Wednesday, February 13

Murder and Mayhem II: True Crime in Michigan History

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> History Skills Workshop

Friday, February 15

Telling the Tale: Jump-Starting Your Historical Writing Project

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/workshops/> History Skills Workshop

Friday, March 8

Archives 101

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/history-hounds-lecture-series/> History
Hounds Lecture

Wednesday, March 13

Grist for the Mill: Holland's DeZwaan Windmill

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:

Michigan History and Chronicle!

Can you remember a historic event from your childhood that always leaves you
smiling? Is there a Michigan business or community that you believe deserves
to be showcased? Have you been itching to publish your article about a niche
subject in Michigan's history, but you don't know where to go? We're here to
help!

HSM is currently accepting submissions for both Michigan History magazine
and Chronicle.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/publications/writers-guidelines/> Before you submit,
review our writer's guidelines.

All queries should be sent to  <mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org>
editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Petoskey District Library presents "Friends at the Carnegie: Letters
Home from WWI," Monday, January 28, in Petoskey.

The Grand Rapids Public Library presents "Finding Your Michigan Ancestor at
the Library of Michigan," Saturday, February 2, in Grand Rapids.

The Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society presents "Indoor Games Open
House," Sunday, February 10, in Orchard Lake.

The Commerce Township Community Library presents "Michigan's Journey to
Statehood," Saturday, March 9, in Commerce Township.

The Genealogical Society of Monroe County, Michigan presents the "42nd
Annual Spring Seminar," Saturday, March 16, in Monroe.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is in advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.