[Michlib-l] eNews from HSM: State History Awards, Manistee Fire Station, Frank Lloyd Wright Tour, Upcoming Events

Historical Society of Michigan hsm at hsmichigan.org
Fri Jul 5 09:00:22 EDT 2019

Nominations Due for State History Awards!

Deadline: July 26, 2019

Each year, the Historical Society of Michigan presents State History Awards
to individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to
the appreciation and understanding of Michigan history. The awards will be
presented on Friday, September 27, 2019, during the annual Michigan History
Conference in Ludington. The State History Awards recognize the excellence
of achievement by an individual or organization in the collection,
preservation, and/or promotion of state and local history.

 <http://hsmichigan.org/programs/awards/state-history-awards/> Learn more
about the State History Award categories.

<http://www.hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/State-History-Award-No
mination.pdf> Download the 2019 nomination form.

Nominations and supporting materials must be received in our office by
Friday, July 26, 2019, at 5 p.m. Nominations received after that date and
time will not be accepted, regardless of postmark.

Manistee Fire Station Receives Guinness World Record

Way to go, Manistee! Michigan's history has been recognized on a global
scale-the Manistee Fire Station at 281 First Street was awarded the title
for "Oldest Continuously Manned Operating Fire Station" by Guinness World
Records. This is the first time Guinness World Records has ever made this
award designation-one that required the Manistee Fire Department to prove it
has not only been in operation but also staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week, 365 days a year as a fully manned and paid professional fire
department since it opened in 1889.

<https://www.mynorth.com/2019/06/manistee-fire-station-world-record/?fbclid=
IwAR1YM1IiLC1Wevy7EgtP97JFmQZRAGWIFCvVzBNew0yTAPwMUC4-4LBRBa4> Learn more
about the Manistee Fire Station.

BEEP BEEP!

We still have some seats for our

Frank Lloyd Wright Tour this August.

Frank Lloyd Wright was a brilliant architect and a problematic personality.
Controversy, scandal, and even murder swirled through his life. He designed
buildings that have become World Heritage Sites, created new architectural
styles, and integrated his structures with the surrounding landscape. He
also undercut his first employer; made impossible demands on builders; left
his wife for a married woman; and suffered the loss of his wife, friends,
and home in an arson-murder. Wright's biography is more astounding than
fiction-and we'll experience the whole story on our tour.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/FrankLloydWright_Itinerar
y.pdf> See the full Frank Lloyd Wright Tour itinerary.

<http://hsmichigan.org/programs/michiganders-on-the-road/frank-lloyd-wright-
registration/> Register online for the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour.

<https://hsmichigan.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/FrankLloydWright_Registra
tion.pdf> Download the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour registration form.

Tune in to the Michigan History MomentT!

"Michigan History MomentT" is a three-minute radio program that focuses on
people, places, and events in Michigan's past. The program is written and
recorded by the Historical Society of Michigan staff and airs weekly on
various stations in the state, such as WNMU-FM Radio at Northern Michigan
University.

If you know of a radio station that would like to air HSM's Michigan History
Moment segments, call (517) 324-1828 or email  <mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org>
hsm at hsmichigan.org.

cid:image001.jpg at 01CF8A43.BF828E40

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan is our state's oldest cultural
organization, founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and
explorer Henry Schoolcraft. A nongovernmental nonprofit, the Society focuses
on publications, conferences, education, awards and recognition programming,
and support for local history organizations to preserve and promote
Michigan's rich history.

  _____

For more information on the Historical Society of Michigan, please visit
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/> www.hsmichigan.org or e-mail us at
<mailto:hsm at hsmichigan.org> hsm at hsmichigan.org.

  _____

The Historical Society of Michigan

5815 Executive Dr. . Lansing, MI 48911

Phone: (517) 324-1828 . FAX: (517) 324-4370

 <https://hsmichigan.org/store/donate/make-a-donation/>
cid:image011.jpg at 01D3861A.07D4BAD0

Staffing Changes at HSM

The Historical Society of Michigan is pleased to welcome Steve Culver, the
Society's new Graphic Designer. Steve brings a wealth of experience to the
team and will be designing HSM's publications and other materials.

Welcome, Steve!

In other news, the Society says goodbye to its Editorial Manager,
Christopher Blaker. Chris has been a valuable member of the Society's
editorial team for three years and will be missed. We wish him well at his
new post as historian for the U.S. Navy Department! In a serendipitous turn
of events, current HSM staff member Emily Allison, former Member Relations
and Development Assistant, will be joining the editorial team as HSM's
Features Editor.

Do you have a historic family recipe to share?

Help us fill our "Remember the Time" section in an upcoming Michigan History
magazine issue with a story of your favorite old family recipe! You'll be
able to write about your family and how the recipe came to be. Plus, your
recipe will be shared with readers across the state and throughout the
country.

Please e-mail your recipe and associated history to
<mailto:editor at hsmichigan.org> editor at hsmichigan.org.

Upcoming Events From Our Members

The Commerce Township Community Library presents "Grand River Avenue: >From
Detroit to Lake Michigan," Thursday, July 18, in Commerce Township.

The Grand Rapids Public Library presents the "Gerald R. Ford Presidential
Museum Tours," Wednesday, July 24, in Grand Rapids.

The Oakland County Pioneer & Historical Society presents the "2019 Pioneer
Reunion & Social," Saturday, July 27, in Pontiac.

 <http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/> For more calendar events, see our
website!

Interested in featuring an event or exhibit on HSM's online calendar and
eNews?

We are always looking to support our member organizations, and one of the
ways we show support is by advertising your events and exhibits. Have an
exhibit or event you'd like promoted?
<http://www.hsmichigan.org/calendar/event-submission/> Feel free to submit
your listing via our online calendar registration form here.

This e-mail is sent to our members and friends to keep you updated on
historical activities and opportunities to learn more about our state's
history. To opt-out, please respond to this e-mail with "remove" in the
subject line. If you received this e-mail as part of your participation in
the Michlib-l mailing list (listserv), please follow their removal process.