[Michlib-l] inquiry on bed bugs

Laura Hauch - Buchanan District Library laura.hauch at buchananlibrary.com
Mon Jul 8 12:14:41 EDT 2019

There was some interest in responses to my inquiry, so here they are compiled. I didn't receive many, but the ones I did were helpful. Thank you to everyone who responded.
I can forward any mentioned procedures or policies.

Laura Hauch
Circulation Manager
Buchanan District Library zv045
128 East Front Street
Buchanan, MI 49107
269-695-3681
269-695-0004 Fax
http://buchananlibrary.org<http://buchananlibrary.org/>

Kettering University puts out traps.

-----------------------------------

We have had two cases of households with bed bugs in the last two years.  It caused us to really take notice and inspect our items thoroughly, as you have.
We have the Orkin dog come in every 6 months to inspect, and have treatment done accordingly.  If the dog has a "hit", all of the books in that area are cooked in the bug box and inspected before returning them to the shelves.
If books are returned with blood or smashed bugs that can't be cleaned even after cooking, they are discarded.  Our attached policy gives the rest of the story, I think.
This situation isn't something that any of us want to think about, but here we are.  :)
Perri
Perri Saunders, Director
White Pigeon Township Library
102 N. Kalamazoo St., P.O. Box 399
White Pigeon, MI 49099
269-483-7409
p.saunders at woodlands.lib.mi.us<mailto:p.saunders at woodlands.lib.mi.us>
>From the attached policy:
A.     Pest Control Policy
For the protection of all library users, the White Pigeon Township Library must ensure a healthy and clean environment and collection.  Therefore, it may be necessary for the Library to restrict a patron's ability to borrow materials and/or visit the Library when such use compromises the health and cleanliness of Library facilities or collections.

Situations where library privileges may be suspended include, but are not limited to:
1.      Evidence that items loaned to a patron were returned containing insects that are known to be damaging to library materials, e.g. roaches and silverfish
2.      Evidence that items checked out by a patron were returned containing insects that can result in pest infestations in library facilities, e.g. bed bugs, fleas, or roaches.
3.      Evidence that pests that may result in infestations in library facilities are present on the person or possessions of a Library visitor.

If it is necessary for facility or borrowing privileges to be suspended, the Library Director will notify the suspended patron by letter. Patrons seeking a reinstatement of their library privileges will need to provide the Director with documentation that the pest problem has been adequately addressed.  Examples of this documentation include, but are not limited to:
1.      Receipts for treatment/inspection from a licensed pest control company
2.      A written statement from the owner or property manager of a multi-family rental residence verifying treatment

The library will make an effort to treat and repair damaged books that are returned with evidence of pests.  If the items are no longer able to be used for circulation, they will be deleted from the collection.  Patrons returning damaged or ruined items will be notified of any charges owed.
1st Offense - The patron's household will be forgiven up to $100 worth of late fees, processing fees, and item costs of any items returned with pest damage.
2nd Offense and beyond - The patron will be charged late fees, processing fees, and the full cost of any damaged library items.
The library director will determine whether the returned items is usable or will need to be deleted.

Milan Library has a semi-annual bed bug sniffing dog inspection.

There is information available on the RIDES site:
https://www.mcls.org/rides/policies-procedures/#Delivery%20Site
Good luck!
Sue
Sue Alt
MeLCat Support and Delivery Coordinator
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
800-530-9019 ext 143
alts at mcls.org<mailto:alts at mcls.org>

When I worked at a library that had bed bug issues, every item that came in was treated in heat boxes before being reshelved for circulation.
Some personal thoughts on the topic:

  *   Patrons should not be punished for bringing in items with bed bugs because some are not aware of the issue until after-the-fact. Furthermore, some might not have the money to pay for an inspection.
  *   Bed bugs can get around easily, so you should not discount cross-contamination; it's incredibly embarrassing for both parties to have misassigned blame.
  *   Patrons should be notified of the issue if it's very clear bed bugs came from their materials, but it should be done discreetly to reduce embarrassment.
Patrons at large should be notified that bed bugs have been found in circulating materials, and what precautions to take to help protect themselves and prevent the spread of bed bugs - not doing so caused a MASSIVE city-wide scandal where I formerly worked.

We have not seen an increase or had an issue with bed bugs, but we are also very proactive and follow the same procedure you outlined in your email. We also spray all of our bins with rubbing alcohol and have dogs that come through the library once a month to make sure nothing has been carried in. I have attached a copy of our inspection and quarantine procedure and used pictures from this ALA bed bug fact sheet<http://www.ala.org/pla/sites/ala.org.pla/files/content/onlinelearning/webinars/archive/PLA_Kittrell_Dont-let-the-bed-bugs-bite_Final.pdf>. I would also strongly encourage the use of a lighted magnifier. When we first started looking at items, everything looked suspicious - there are a lot of crumbs in books, but looking at items under a 30x lighted magnifier really helps. We honestly have more of an issue with ants sneaking in every spring!

I would be very interested to see if there are any other response with different procedures or guidelines being followed.

Have a great day!
Denise
[vsmCPLlogo]

Denise Skopczynski
Circulation Services Process Supervisor
Canton Public Library<http://www.cantonpl.org/>
[cid:image002.png at 01CA7E6F.BE3ABAB0]<http://twitter.com/CantonLibrary>  [cid:image003.png at 01CA7E6F.BE3ABAB0] <http://www.facebook.com/CantonLibrary>
1200 S. Canton Center Rd., Canton, MI 48188

Albion library called, and the highlights from the conversation are as follows:

They've code named their heat boxes "bakery boxes," and they "bake" books. They've invested in Ziploc gasketed bins for holding items awaiting baking. They have a dog come in to inspect 6 times a year, and they highly recommend being inspected. They mark and date items that have been treated.
They suggested looking on Google for ALA slideshow and YouTube training videos on what to look for, as well as scripts for how to have conversations with patrons about the issue. They also suggested seeing if community action organization in the area offers assistance for paying for treatment.