[Michlib-l] Library as "Cooling Center"

Stanczak, Cindy cstanczak at albionlibrary.org
Wed Jul 10 16:37:30 EDT 2019

Hail, the Great Brain!

I apologize for any cross-posting.

In the last several years, I've been slowly developing procedures related
to the library serving as warming center and also cooling center.  I'm
happy to share what I've developed, but I'd love to see what you might have
in place?

When do you offer ice water or other cooling refreshment?
When do you add programming and for who (kids only or multi-generational)?
When do you extend hours?
When do you open on regularly closed days?
When do you okay overtime (if ever)?

Because there will hopefully be responses and/or discussion from multiple
states, so that we have some idea for comparison, please include:

   - your official service population and/or number of staff, AND
   - whether you are consider urban, suburban, rural, or (my category)
   super rural/tiny library.

Note: For those of you in very warm climates, please note that we are in
Michigan, so our definition of "hot" and "very hot" is relative.  Daily
high temperatures in July are around 82°F, rarely falling below 73°F or
exceeding 91°F.  We also regularly have upwards of 70% humidity, even
without rain that day, which makes it all so much worse.

Thank you, all!

*Cynthia Stanczak*
Library Director
Albion District Library
501 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI  49224
(517) 629-3993

Albion District Library: Transforming Minds, Changing Lives.
Proudly serving our community since 1919.
Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on Facebook!