[Michlib-l] smelly materials

Lori Haas director at montmorencylibrary.com
Tue Jul 16 13:11:29 EDT 2019

We have patrons from time to return items, mostly dvd’s, but on occasion books that are smelly.  It may be from cigarette smoke or really poor personal hygiene.  The odor seems to linger on the materials and some times causes odor issues in the library.  We typically air out the dvd’s and / or wipe down with disinfecting wipes.  But of course this doesn’t work well with books.  I was wondering what strategies others are using to keep their dvd’s and material fresh after being in a smelly environment.

Lori Haas
Director
Montmorency County Public Libraries
P.O. Box 438