[Michlib-l] AS Librarian 22.5 hrs a week at RHPL

Christine Hage christine.hage at rhpl.org
Fri Jul 19 15:51:16 EDT 2019

  Job Announcement Rochester Hills Public Library Adult and Teen Services
Salaried Librarian
Position: Adult Services Librarian Supervisor: Adult Services Manager
Salary: $24,929 per year
Schedule: 22.5 hours per week, regularly (includes evening and weekend
hours)
Dates:

Deadline for applications: Friday, August 2, 2019
Interviews anticipated: August 5-9, 2019
Decision anticipated by: August 9, 2019
Desired starting date: August 12, 2019

Application: Please complete the application at *www.rhpl.org/jobs
<http://rhpl.org/jobs>*, including a resume, cover letter, and responses to
questions at the end of this posting.
Primary Job Duties:

 Provide comprehensive library service to individuals and groups, both
inside and outside the library.  Provide reference assistance and reader’s
advisory to patrons of all ages and abilities.
 Evaluate and select print and electronic resources for adults.
 Program planning and implementation for adults.
 Instruction in use of the library and the resources offered
 Webpage development and maintenance
 Work with other Adult Services staff in the creation of new programs,
projects and materials
 Maintain awareness of new developments and trends in the field through
professional journals, workshops, conferences, etc.
 Lead book discussions for adults
 Serve on area committees as assigned
 Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications:

 Master’s degree in Library Science completed by September 2019
 Ability to prioritize tasks and duties and work independently
 High level of energy and self-motivation to create new services
 Full range of technology skills, especially with tablets and e-readers
 Strong oral and written communication skills
 Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule in order to implement
programming
 Willingness to seek out and complete appropriate grant applications
 Willingness to participate in professional associations

Desirable Qualifications:

 Experience with Polaris
 Experience in a public library setting
 Experience with grant writing
 Exposure to makerspaces
This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications; it is intended to describe the major responsibilities and
requirements of this position.

Please respond to the following questions and include those responses with
your resume and cover letter.
1. Why do you want to work with teens and adults?
2. We offer many different kinds of programs for adults. What program or
service would you suggest to enhance our offerings?
3. If I were to duplicate a typical week of your reading choices, what
would I be reading? (By choices, I mean just about everything short of
cereal boxes.)
4. In a field of strong candidates, what makes you stand out?