[Michlib-l] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: KALAMAZOO PUBLIC LIBRARY LAUNCHES NEW USER-FOCUSED WEBSITE

Farrell Howe FarrellH at kpl.gov
Tue Jun 4 09:43:32 EDT 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, June 4, 2019

CONTACT
Farrell Howe
Marketing and Communication Manager
Kalamazoo Public Library
269-553-7879

Kalamazoo Public Library Launches New User-Focused Website

Kalamazoo, MI – Tuesday, June 4, 2019, 2019. Kalamazoo Public Library (KPL) is excited to announce the launch of their completely revised website: www.kpl.gov<http://www.kpl.gov>.

In 2016, KPL conducted a user experience (UX) study with Western Michigan University to determine what functionality our patrons wanted from the KPL website. Overwhelmingly, the results were clear. Patrons want a fast, streamlined user experience where they can easily find what they are looking for at the click of a button. The most common comment received was that users want the “Amazon experience.”

The UX study included focus groups where patrons were asked to perform various tasks, including finding a book in our catalog, finding how to sign up for a library card, searching a local history article and much more. The data from the UX study and focus groups was compiled and KPL’s IT team began working on a complete website overhaul. In early May 2019, KPL launched a test site where the public was invited to tour our new website and provide KPL direct feedback that could be addressed prior to the June 3 official launch.

One of the biggest challenges of rebuilding the KPL website was how to keep the user’s experience seamless without navigating them to third-party providers to access our collections and services. This is a challenge faced by most libraries, both public and academic, and the biggest hurdle to overcome in order to provide the “Amazon experience” desired. Fortunately, KPL has a very talented IT staff who were able to utilize APIs – Application Programming Interfaces – to provide everything patrons want without ever having to leave the KPL website.

The website, events calendar and catalog have all been rebuilt to encourage users to easily explore and discover new titles and programs. Special attention was given to make the new site easier for people using assistive technologies and devices. Some of the new key features include:

  *   New Explore menu to browse and search the entire KPL catalog of physical and digital titles
  *   New Events menu to find events at KPL organized by age, location, date and more
  *   New Services menu to learn more about what KPL can do for you
  *   New Site search to find everything on kpl.gov, from catalog titles, databases, articles and more
  *   New My Account where patrons can log into their library account to view their current and previous checkouts, holds, fees and access their e-library card
  *   Now completely adaptable for all mobile devices - no more need for a separate app

The best way to see everything the new KPL website has to offer is to take a tour<http://www.kpl.gov/> of it yourself. Visitors are encouraged to provide feedback<https://new.kpl.gov/patron-support/become-a-patron/contacting-the-library/website-feedback-form/> on their experience.

For more information, contact Farrell Howe at 269-743-7345 or farrellh at kpl.gov<mailto:farrellh at kpl.gov>.

####