[Michlib-l] Policy for patrons requesting items from libraries NOT in MEL

Stephanie knownformylaugh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 16:05:45 EDT 2019

Greetings everyone --

I'm wondering if any of you have a policy for requests for items from
special libraries or out of state libraries.   We rarely have such
requests, but we've had one patron lately who wants quite a bit of material
from non-MEL participating libraries and out of state libraries.   I am not
inclined to pay to join WorldCat because, again, we rarely get such
requests.  We have tried to work with this patron on expectations regarding
a) how long it will take to receive items that we have to request directly
from these institutions and b) up front fees that may be involved with
these requests....but I think we need something with a little more
authority behind it.

I hate setting policy for the exceptions...but in this instance it wouldn't
hurt to get something in place for this patron (and any future such
requests).   So, if any of you have any sample policies you'd be willing to
share with me, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
Stephanie Masin - Director
Maud Preston Palenske Memorial Library