[Michlib-l] Screening of the film "The Public" this Sunday in Saginaw

Kimberly White kwhite at saginawlibrary.org
Fri Jun 7 15:37:29 EDT 2019

The Public Libraries of Saginaw has partnered with the Riverside Saginaw Film Festival to bring 'The Public' to the historic Court Street Theatre in Saginaw on Sunday, June 9th at 5:00 pm.  We want to take the opportunity to invite librarians across Michigan to attend.  Admission is just $5 cash at the door.

The Court Street Theatre is located at 1216 Court Street, Saginaw, MI 48602.  Parking is available on street, across the street in the open lot, and behind the theatre.
Concessions are available.

The Public (2018) Rated PG-13 1 hr 59 min

An unusually bitter Arctic blast has made its way to downtown Cincinnati. At odds with library officials over how to handle the extreme weather event, the patrons turn the building into a homeless shelter for the night by staging an "occupy" sit in. What begins as an act of civil disobedience becomes a stand-off with police and a rush-to-judgment media constantly speculating about what's really happening.

This David versus Goliath story tackles some of our nation's most challenging issues, homelessness and mental illness and sets the drama inside one of the last bastions of democracy-in-action: your public library.

Written and Directed by Emilio Estevez
Starring Emilio Estevez, Jena Malone, Taylor Schilling, Alec Baldwin, Gabrielle Union, Christian Slater, Jeffrey Wright, Michael K. Williams, Che "Rhymefest" Smith and Jacob Vargas

We invite you stick around after the show for a panel discussion about homelessness in our community led by representatives from Hoyt Library and the Saginaw County Consortium of Homeless Assistance Providers.

Kim White
Head of Hoyt Library
Public Libraries of Saginaw