[Michlib-l] Become a Michigan Center for the Book Affiliate Today!!

Donna Olson dolson at ssldl.info
Thu Jun 13 15:10:12 EDT 2019

Hello All!

I would like to share our good fortune! Consider becoming
a Michigan Center for the Book affiliate! For a minimal investment, your
library can be part of a boatload of local, statewide and national projects
and events.

Affiliate members have a seat on the Michigan Center for the Book Board,
participate in programs as they are able for minimal annual dues. Member
travel to national events is supported in whole or in part by the Library
of Michigan.  *Contact Tim Gleisner at **GleisnerT at michigan.gov
<GleisnerT at michigan.gov> ** or **517-335-8389* *and **join today!*

The *Michigan Center for the Book is the Michigan affiliate of the
National Center for the Book at the Library of Congress.*

*Why ?*

Because the rewards far outweigh the minimal investment! Nineteen libraries
are affiliates of the Michigan Center for the Book. They are members
because of the variety of benefits they gain!

 As a way to enrich the lives of our patrons!

·             By being visibly committed to an effort to increase literacy

·             By working to spread knowledge of Michigan’s authors and
literary heritage

·             By celebrating and supporting books

 To support literary grants!

·             By funding our literary grant program through dues

·             By receiving grant funding themselves

·             By funding Literary Landmarks

 To participate in local and national events and networking!

·             By attending the National Book Festival at Library of
Congress in Washington DC

·             By representing Michigan at the national Idea Exchange
meeting for state Centers for the Book

 To support authors and libraries have more and better literary events!

·          By supporting the Michigan Notable Books program and getting the
inside track on the Notable Author Tour

·          By supporting the Michigan Library Author Visit blog, the Author
Visit How-To site, and the One Book Archive

 To learn from and network with fellow members!

·          By exchanging programming ideas

·          By working together on  Michigan Center for the Book projects

 *Activities and Resources*

Michigan Center for the Book’s mission is to promote an awareness of books,
reading, literacy, authors and Michigan's rich literary heritage! To do so,
we create and maintain resources such as the Michigan Authors &
Illustrators database, a searchable record of Michigan authors present and
past. We have projects such as the Literary Landmarks, which draw attention
to notable literary places in Michigan. We sponsor activities by other
groups such as the Michigan Author Awards, which bring readers in touch
with Michigan authors. These activities bring the wonder of Michigan's
literary world to people at home and in libraries across the state.

*Promotions and Sponsorships*

The Michigan Center for the Book participates in events and sponsors
activities to encourage public interest in Michigan authors and promote
reading.

Events include representing Michigan at the annual National Book Festival
<http://www.loc.gov/bookfest> in Washington, DC. The 19th Festival will be
held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Saturday, August 31,
2019. Podcasts of past events are available.
<http://loc.gov/bookfest/>  Affiliates
also host a table at several statewide book festivals, such as the Alpena
Bookfest <https://www.facebook.com/events/1556502437725449>,
Detroit Book Festival
<https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-about-michigan/michigan-events/detroit-festival-of-books-at-eastern-market-coming-in-july>
and
more.

Sponsorships include support for the Library of Michigan's Michigan Notable
Books program, and the Michigan Library Association’s annual
<http://www.milibraries.org/about/michigan-author-award/>Michigan Author
Award <http://www.milibraries.org/about/michigan-author-award/>.
The Michigan Center for the Book also produces an annual Programming
Guide for the Notable Books program as part of our sponsorship.

*Grants*

The Michigan Center for the Book provides small grants for literary events
in Michigan to fulfill a goal to bring literary activities to a broad range
of people that might not otherwise have these experiences.

*Contact Tim today!*

Sincerely,

Donna

*Donna Olson, Director*

*Salem-South Lyon District Library*

9800 Pontiac Trail, South Lyon, MI 48178

Phone: (248) 437-6431 ext. 206 | Fax: (248) 437-6593

http://www.ssldl.info | https://www.facebook.com/SSLDL

https://www.instagram.com/ssldl | https://twitter.com/ssldl

https://www.linkedin.com/in/olsondonna/

[image: America's STAR Libraries 2018]