[Michlib-l] compiled cultural competency recommendations

Kristy Cooper kristycooper1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:56:34 EST 2019

Hi everyone,

A few weeks back I asked the list for cultural competency training
recommendations, either online or in person. and have compiled all of the

·         Try Marla Ehlers, Assistant Director, of Grand Rapids Public
Library. She did something like this for MLA several years ago. Here is a
presentation by her here:
https://mostatelibrary.watch.more.net/#/videos/c41237bd-7aa0-49cd-9cfb-4c42a532956f

·         Taryn Petryk *tpetryk at umich.edu <tpetryk at umich.edu>* (Michigan
Ross Director of Diversity and Inclusion)

·         I recently took Balancing Books and Social Issues: Homelessness
and Trauma put on by Elissa Hardy, a social worker in the Denver Public
Library system, and while the webinar specifically talked about people
experiencing homelessness, she also did a great job talking about the
language we use about patrons and how harmful it can be. I highly recommend
it. https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=818&reset=1

·
https://amplifycolectivo.com/nonprofit-small-business-and-corporate-training/

·         *http://us2consulting.com/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fus2consulting.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR37U-oul3ahrxsDlYqNL-AoawQKsR3pCI-p06myb1EHPhhwA2mnF8dQTzs&h=AT3mMJsClFOZPmFpZ68icsx1oP0l1rh8JHJsyrCns0s2tK906Pp7NDHh15_tg3NUZ2s6SLSPk3lrXokm56OR1qd9as4JIXXBILSttYtLjNiehkdrEaPJof5wJjxr7vvZ79w>*

·         WebJunction offerings are free. A list available that are
self-paced courses that match your need can be found here:
https://learn.webjunction.org/course/search.php?search=cultural

·         Here is a link to a post about inclusive practices with
connections to other resources.
https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/stories-of-inclusion-inclusive-practices-at-cultural-institutions.html

·         Here are a number under their topic of Access & Equity
https://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/access-equity.html

·         If you are looking for training for library staff serving
children and youth you may want to review YALSA's offerings such as
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/cultural-competence-library

Thanks!

--
Kristy Cooper