[Michlib-l] Filtering Software Responses

Sharon Crotser-Toy scrotsertoy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:04:45 EDT 2019

Good morning, everyone!

I've had a request to compile and share the responses to my inquiry about
filtering software, and here they are, below my original question. Thanks,
as always, for being such a great resource/collective brain!
***********************

Happy Friday, everyone!

We are embarking on e-rate funding which, of course, requires some type of
filtering/blocking mechanism on all of our computers, something we don't
currently provide.

I'm interested to hear about anyone's experiences with filtering/blocking
software: Is there anything you'd recommend; pro's and con's, etc.

I very much appreciate your time; I know it is in great demand!

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
************************

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for your inquiry.  TLN offers a discount on the OpenDNS content
filtering product.  The cost is $225 per year per IP address.  Support is
$25 per year.  Initial setup is $75.  The majority of libraries are using
this product and it satisfies erate requirements.   Please let me know if
you would like to learn more.

Thanks,

Angie Michelini
The Library Network
41365 Vincenti Court
Novi, MI  48375
248-716-5583
amichelini at tln.lib.mi.us
*************************

We use OpenDNS for filtering. It is a cloud based filter (not software
installed on PCs that would then need to be updated, etc) that filters all
computers in your building unless you manually set the DNS on PCs or
networks that you don't want filtered. When a site is blocked, it gives an
easy to understand reason why it was blocked. Staff can override a blocked
site on the spot by putting in a password. Sites can be whitelisted
permanently by adding them to a whitelist in the OpenDNS admin area. It is
an expensive solution (couple thousand $ a year), but we only pay $200 a
year to our consortia (The Library Network.) Maybe Angie at TLN would allow
you to subscribe with them.
***********************************

OpenDNS doesn't care what versions of operating system you are running. It
basically blankets your entire building, including your wireless network
and staff networks. You can have it not filter some PCs or networks by
changing the DNS on these PCs or networks. For example, federal law
requires that you make at least one PC in your building unfiltered for
public use. Instead of permanently un-filtering a PC, staff type a password
to allow access to a blocked site upon request. Management then decides if
we want to whitelist a site permanently.
***********************************

We use OpenDNS, through the TLN Consortium. It is easy, and does a good job
of being able to block things. We don’t have as much control over the
categories directly as I would like, but that is because we are part of a
larger group using it. We can unblock sites at will, but they are only
temporary unblocks without asking the TLN. Helpdesk to handle that. It is
also nice that it is the WHOLE network that is handled by that.
**************************************

We use WebBlocker through our firewall. Seems to work okay. I can input a
password override if an adult can't access materials they need, and it
requires very little thought on my part.

Our watchguard firewall does the filtering.

--
Sharon Crotser-Toy
Director

Connects People, Inspires Ideas, Transforms Lives